OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 50 and starting back in Nov I missed two months of

Customer Question
I am 50 and...

I am 50 and starting back in Nov I missed two months of period (I'm usually very normal) than starting Jan 1st I started bleeding everyday, at first it was more like spotting and then towards the end of January it became very heavy so much so that I was changing pads almost every half hour and at least hour. This lasted for over a month so I went to OBGYN Blood tests show my hormones are all normal, although I was slightly anemic due to the blood loss. An ultrasound showed that my Uterine lining was 12 mm. The bleeding finally did stop but my Dr. wants to do a Biopsy just to make sure. I had one done three years ago that was negative and it was very painful so I am curious as if you think I really need another one.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Not sure what you mean by that?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have no children and all my other vitals are normal.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/22/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

To answer your question - yes,you do need an endometrial biopsy even if the one done three years ago was negative.

The perimenopausal age is not a safe age for women since the entire reproductive tract undergoes changes in response to the fluctuating hormonal levels. This can cause some cells to mutate and become malignant.

It is not normal normal for the endometrium to be 12 mm at this age. It can be due to a simple overgrowth or it can be due to cellular changes. A biopsy will help to differentiate between the two.

Your doctor is right - you do need to get an endometrial biopsy.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor