OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Whats the safest, least side effect, birth control method…

Whats the safest, least side...
Whats the safest, least side effect, birth control method for a virgin, soon to be wed?
3/22/2018
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, a condom is the safest, no side effect and prevent STD also, birth control method.

The second one includes IUDs and implants.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Ok, since my wife will be my only sexual partner, I'd like to stay away from the condom. What kind of uncomfortable symptoms can she get from iuds and implant's (weights gain, lower sexual drive, modiness) also, what's the chance of getting pregnant?? And how do they compare to to birh control shots and pills?

Thanks for the follow-up.

An implant has effectiveness: 99 percent

One of the most effective options available. Lasts up to three years but can be removed at any time.

It disrupts periods and can cause minor side effects such as acne, breast tenderness, and weight gain.

Hormonal IUDs are small T-shaped instruments that are placed in your uterus.It releases progestin, which affects ovulation and makes cervical mucus thicker to block sperm.
Effectiveness: 99+ percent

It can be left in place for three to five years.

The hormonal IUD can make you stop having periods.

The combination pill uses estrogen and progestin has effectiveness: 91 percent

A hormonal pill — the minipill — uses progestin has effectiveness: 91 percent in preventing pregnancy.

If your partner forgets to take the pill on time every day, she has to use another birth control method as well. The hormonal pill can also increase some effects of your period, like breast tenderness.

Shot -An injection of the hormone progestin, given every 90 days in a doctor’s office and has effectiveness: 98 percent

Nausea, headaches, and depression have also been reported.

Inability to conceive can last for up to a year after you stop taking the shot. Studies have linked the shot to loss of bone density, which could cause osteoporosis.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

ok, great. I did some extra research. I seem to like the idea of the copper IUD. Do they affect the hormones in any way? Weight gain, mood swings, etc?

Thanks for the follow-up.

The copper IUD has effectiveness: 99 percent

It can be left in place for up to 10 years.

Side effects include random spotting during early use, more cramps during your period.

No weight gain.

Hope this helps.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Awesome, can you tell me about natural cycles for birth control? Can a man ejaculate inside when she is infertile, or not? Any other insights you know?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for the follow-up.

If your partner has a regular menstrual cycle then the calendar rhythm method can be used to avoid pregnancy relies upon calculating a woman's fertile period on the calendar. Based upon her 12 previous menstrual cycles, a woman subtracts l8 days from her shortest menstrual cycle to determine her first fertile day, and 11 days from her longest menstrual cycle to determine her last fertile day.

She can then calculate the total number of days during which she may ovulate.

If a woman's menstrual cycles are quite irregular from month to month, there will be a greater number of days during which she might become pregnant.

The calendar method is only about 80% effective in preventing pregnancy.

Another method is pulled out method/Withdrawal method

Using the withdrawal method, the man withdraws his penis from a woman's vagina before he ejaculates so that the sperm released from his penis does not enter her vagina.

However, a man may release small amounts of sperm before actual ejaculation. Secondly, a man needs self-control and a precise sense of timing to be able to withdraw his penis from the woman's vagina before he ejaculates. Because this can be difficult for the man to complete successfully, the withdrawal method is only about 75%-80% effective in preventing pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Perfect, just one last question. When calculating the menstrual cycles, when the woman is infertile, can the man ejaculate inside or not?

Yes, the man can ejaculate inside in infertile phase.

ok thanks perfect!

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. A bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide a rating.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Dr Anil Kumar
Thanks so much! By the way, when she is fertile do I abstain from sex altogether, or just ejaculate outside?

Avoid sex for 100% protection.

You can do dry humping.

Gotcha, thanks! That's all. 5 stars :)

Welcome.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil