OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have irritation out side of the vagina for 2-3 days now. I…

hi doctor, I have irritation out...
hi doctor,
I have irritation out side of the vagina for 2-3 days now. I feel burning and itchy down there. It also swollen a bit. There is no sign of strange discharge or bad smell. This happened after having sex (2 times per day) with Durex ( a latex one). My partner also used his hand to put in my vagina as well. Before that, I rarely had symptoms like this with Durex. Can you please explain what happen and what should I do?
3/21/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Your symptoms suggest that you are suffering from contact dermatitis of the skin. Contact dermatitis can often be present together with a fungal infection.

Please use Lotrimin ointment twice a day and Cortisone ointment once daily for at least 5 days. Bothare available without a prescription.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

What are the reasons?

Contact dermatitis can occur when you come in contact against something you are allergic to - it can be the latex of the condom or it can be any cosmetic or other substance that was used. Sometimes, if the sex is a bit rough, the skin can become a bit raw and easily susceptible to a fungal infection.

It is difficult to pinpoint a cause after a single episode of contact dermatitis.

Please use the ointments mentioned - it should clear up in about 5 days.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar