OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have gone to a a OBGYN with a problem of a very and I mean…

Hi I have gone...

Hi I have gone to a a OBGYN with a problem of a very and I mean very itchy vulva he said I have prob damaged it from riding horses for my whole life he had cream made and it helps but not all the time is there something else that can be done

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

I don't seem to itch as much during the day it is more toward evening that it is more

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This started about two years ago and another ob thought it was a yeast infection and treated me for that for a long time and that is when I went to another and he pin pointed the itch and said the cream would help but it just isn't enough also anytime i try to scratch or just gently rub it really gets soar so it is so hard to put up with when the cream doesn't help I also had a hysterectomy in Nov and I was not itchy for about 2 months and then in came back

3/21/2018
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond shortly.
Recurring itching such as you describe is common in many women and difficult to treat. Not having seen you and looked at any vaginal secretions under the microscope limits my evaluation. Since you improved after surgery, it must be something with your diet or hormones. I’ve found considerable improvement in patients when they consider probiotics and prebiotics supplementation that helps restore GI tract bacterial balance. This helps limit organisms such as yeast to keep reseeding the vaginal area. These supplements are otc and inexpensive. After a few weeks with taking one or two capsules with probiotic-prebiotic factors orally it reduces symptoms such as you have. Probiotics are bacteria that a healthy GI tract need to balance bacteria that cause many problems with normal function. Prebiotics are products that inhibit bad bacteria and yeast by maintaining normal GI tract bacteria. I hope my information helps and you can rate your satisfaction with my response.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN