OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having some issues with my IUD that I have had for

Customer Question
I am having some...

I am having some issues with my IUD that I have had for roughly 6 months. I am debating whether going into the clinic is necessary

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have seen a PA-C for this on February 6th. Here, I was diagnosed with mild BV. I was placed on an antibiotic for roughly 10 days. I have not had any medications since

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I do not take any medications daily and I am not allergic to anything

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

I have been having brown discharge/blood more frequently than normal. I have had this issue when I went to see a physician on February 6th. Here I was tested for " VAGINOSIS/VAGINITIS PANEL (TRICHOMONAS, YEAST AND GARDNERELLA)." The results came back positive. I was placed on an antibiotic for roughly 10 days, twice a day, and the spotting cleared. The spotting had started again around February 25th. I had my first REAL period that I could actively distinguish March 1st-March 8th. This period I could easily identify as a period because it was dark red blood. However, it lightened up enough to where I didn't have to wear tampons anymore, but the spotting/discharge continued through today, March 20th. The brown discharged just shifted to a dark brown and slightly heavier. I am assuming this is a period, however, I just had one, so I am mildly confused. My physician suggested that this might occur. I am now living in Australia and am unsure if this is necessary enough to go to a clinic for. Do I need to be concerned since I have had this IUD in place for just over 6 months? Is this normal?

3/20/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 month ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn and I can respond. I need to know which iud you have in place and when was it placed there? Did you bring up the iud issues with the PA-C on February 6th?
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified