OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Mri result i have right pyosalpinx with coompnents of

Customer Question
hematosalpinx and fluid in uterine...
mri result i have right pyosalpinx with coompnents of hematosalpinx and fluid in uterine cornua ... i did pap which was normal with moderate inflammation. edometrial biopsy normal the dr. doesn't know what caused this to happen and suggested tube removal. i want to know the cause this so my other tube wont get blocked
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/20/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

A pyosalpinx is caused by infection and inflammation of the tube - the commonest cause being pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) caused by infection with an organism called Chlamydia trachomatis.

Chlamydia can be a silent infection causing no symptoms. but it inflames and destroys the inner lining of the tube leading to collection of pus (which is then called pyosalpinx) and blood ( called hematosalpinx). Other bacteria can also cause PID.

Fluid in the uterine cornu is a reaction to the pyosalpinx.

The best treatment is strong antibiotics and removal of the tube. This will help to preserve the other tube.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i was tested for everything and PID and all negative.. That why its so concerning is there anyway my tube can be saved without being removed.

Pyosalpinx means a tube with pus. If pus is present, then there has to be an infection.

Once pyosalpinx has occurred, I am afraid that the tube cannot be saved. Even if the tube is not removed, it will not be functional. Plus it can cause spread of the infection to other organs in the pelvis. It is better to remove it.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor