OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I came back home today and found blood on my underwear, so I…

Customer Question
Hello. I came back...

Hello. I came back home today and found blood on my underwear, so I assumed I started my period. It was on the toilet paper as well (quite a bit). Then, after a few hours when i went back to the restroom, there was nothing on my pad and just minimal blood on the toilet paper. It happened to me before last month after my period was over 40 days late.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I've been using AVA for double checking when I ovulate and have my period

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/20/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

How old are you?

When did you get your last period?

Are you generally regular with your periods?

When did you ovulate this month?

What medicines, if any, are you on?

I'm 41 years old and my last period was strange and lasted for about 2 days on and off after being very late. My periods are usually between 23-28 days, so they're not very regular. According to AVA, I ovulated last Monday. I'm not taking any medication. Also, before this last time getting strange period, I never had anything like this happen to me before.
I forgot to mention, I had my last period on Feb. 27

Thank you for your reply.

If you ovulated last monday, then today is the 8th day after ovulation. This is the time when the progesterone level in the body peaks after ovulation. This is also the time when the endometrium is at its thickest.

If pregnancy occurs, the progesterone level will continue to increase and the endometrium will become thicker.

If pregnancy does not occur, the progesterone level will start to decrease.

Sometimes, the progesterone level cannot sustain the thick endometrium, and a bit of the endometrum may slough out causing the bleeding. This is a withdrawal bleeding ( withdrawal of hormones). It generally clears up spontaneously and will result in a normal period.

You need an ultrasound to check the endometrial thickness. If it is thick, you may need an endometrial biopsy (D&C) to check the cells.

Please consult your doctor for the ultrasound.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.