OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What is a colposcopy? Why would you need to have it? 49

Customer Question
What is a colposcopy...

What is a colposcopy? Why would you need to have it?

Doctor's Assistant: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?

49 years old. Abnormal pap results. 2 different cells are abnormal, one involves glands.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

3 weeks ago. Previous was 2 years ago. I only have a cycle about once a year. The doctor thought I was going through menopause.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. My previous OB/GYN retired so this doctor doesn’t know me at all. I have been very active and athletic in my younger years. I didn’t have cramps and rarely had heavy bleeding. I have 3 teenagers. Aunt Flo didn’t bother me.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/20/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

A colposcopy is a procedure that uses a magnifying scope to perform a more thorough examination of the cervix. From the patient's perspective, it is initially not much different than the usual pelvic exam - the patient is lying on her back and she feels the speculum inserted to expose the cervix. However, the doctor will look through the scope, which looks not much different than a complex set of binoculars. The doctor can also apply liquids to the cervix, and between the magnification and the liquids, the specific area of abnormality on the cervix can be seen, and the doctor can then perform a biopsy of any worrisome areas. The biopsy is the part of colposcopy that will feel different to the patient.

The primary reason to have a colposcopy is an abnormal Pap smear, so that the exact problem causing the abnormal Pap smear can be identified.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for answering my questions so throughly.

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor