OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I seem to have a lump down there that I am concerned about.

Customer Question
Ma’am, I seem to...

Ma’am, I seem to have a lump down there that I am concerned about. It’s after hours and I have made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow but I am a bit scared

Doctor's Assistant: How old are you? What symptoms are you having?

27, In the entrance of my vagina there is a swollen lump. It doesn’t hurt when I sit down or walk nor pee but I am having a bit discharge

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

October 2017. Nothing irregular

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I haven’t had sex in over a month and just finished my period on Sunday

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you for your patience.

It is likely that you have a Bartholin's cyst.

The Bartholin's glands are small glands on either side of the vaginal opening. Their ducts open into the vagina nd the secretions help lubricate the vagina. Sometimes, the duct can get blocked due to an infection or due to dead vaginal cells. If this happens, the secretions collect inside the gland to cause swelling and a lump is forned.

It is benign and easily treatable.

In many cases, antibiotics can help clear up an infection. Application of a hot pack on the area can cause the duct to open up and drain the secretions.

If this does not help, draining the gland and a carrying out a minor surgical procedure known as marsupialization can be done.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.