OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have some questions about birth control and plan and signs…

Hi! I have some...

Hi! I have some questions about birth control and plan b and signs of pregnancy.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Do you mean, a record of medications?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been taking Sprintec for 3 weeks. spotting everyday following the end of my last period. had unprotected sex three nights ago, took plan b within 12 hours, and the next day i stopped spotting and haven't spotted since. do you know why this would be?

3/20/2018
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Are you using Sprintec first time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started three weeks ago on the first day of my period. I have been taking them everyday but have not always been on time like I should be.

Thank you for the input.
Spotting is due to low hormone level.
Both Sprintec and Plan B are hormonal products.
Plan B added the amount of hormone, so your spotting has stopped.

Try to take at same time everyday.

After a few cycles, body can adjust and there may not be any spotting further.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.
One more question. Since the sex was unprotected, are there any signs I should be looking out for if pregnancy were to happen to occur? Signs specific to my situation of starting the birth control very recently?

The chance of pregnancy is very less as you have taken Sprintec for about 2 weeks when you had sex and added Plan B within 12 hours.

There can be irregular period in next cycle.

Still, if you miss the period along with the symptoms of nausea, morning sickness, breast tenderness, then you can take a home pregnancy test.

Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)