OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 42. I have had a fibroid rumor for at least the past…

I am 42. I have...
I am 42. I have had a fibroid rumor for at least the past year. Recently it is causing me pain before my period. I was going to just wait until menopause because my dr told me it should become smaller after menopause. But it is really bothering me and I’m thinking of asking about getting it removed. I also have HPV with mild dysplasia. The dr said he does not need to do a LEEP at this time. However if I get the fibroid removed then can I get the cells with dysplaysia removed at the same time? What are the common procedures for this?
3/20/2018
medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Okay so you won't be needing LEEP because the dysplasia is mild and it won't be indicated.

Fibroid can be treated in a number of ways.

Certain procedures can destroy uterine fibroids without actually removing them through surgery

1-Uterine artery embolization.

In this procedure the blood vessels feeding the fibroid are blocked by injecting embolic agents in the those blood vessels as a result fibroid shrinks.

2-Myolysis

Here blood vessels supplying the fibroid are destroyed by using radiofrequency energy.

3-Myomectomy

In this surgery only the fibroid is removed and rest of uterus is left intact.

4-Hysterectomy

Here the entire uterus including cervix is removed along with the fibroid.

The suitability for these procedure depends on the size of fibroid its exact location and number of fibroids and your personal choices.

You can discuss all these in detail with your OBGYN.

Only hysterectomy that involves removal of entire uterus including cervix would remove the dysplastic cells.

As dysplasia is mild so that won't be required.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left corner of this thread.

You are not charged for rating positively.I'll be here for any follow up questions
Thank you.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Just one more question. What are the possible outcomes for the dysplaysia? Will it either resolve or get worse? I get checked every 6 mos

Since it is mild so there are chances that this would resolve.It is not possible to give an exact number

You need regular check ups as you are already having.

You would be fine.

In most of the times, mild dysplasia does go away on its own and does not require any treatment at all.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Do take a moment to click on the stars and rate this positively with 5 stars.

Thank you

medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor, Doctor