OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to figure out if Plan is most likely effective.

I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out if Plan B is most likely effective.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

In terms of preventing pregnancy from an unplanned encounter where the condom broke.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes, first time. Great health.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve been experiencing bleeding since yesterday. Period started March 5th and ended March 9th. Encounter where condom broke was March 12th. Took Plan B about 32 hours later on March 13th. Started bleeding yesterday, March 16th. Typically my cycle is around 28 days. Likelihood I’m pregnant?

3/18/2018
medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Plan B when taken within 72 hours reduces the chances of pregnancy by almost 89 to 90 percent.

It is completely normal to experience bleeding or spotting after taking plan B as it contains a hormone called progesterone that disturbs the normal bleeding pattern and causes bleeding or spotting.

So this suggests that plan b is working for you.

If there is no bleeding or spotting after 2 weeks of taking plan b then a pregnancy test is advised.

Let me know if you have any questions.

And please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

Thank you.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it likely I took the Plan B in time or too late in my cycle? I was also taking Bactrim DS in the days leading up to taking Plan B (then I stopped) - would the antibiotic affect how well Plan B works?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This couldn’t be implantation bleeding, could it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is both bright and dark red.

No Bactrim DS does not interact with plan B.

You took it in time it is not late as you took after about 32 hours.It should not be taken after 72 hours.

No this bleeding is too early to be due to implantation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I mean since I took it on Day 9 of my cycle is it unlikely to have worked since so close to ovulation?

No it still works even if taken on day 9

When do you ovulate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know, but typically my cycles are around 28 days long and my period lasts around five days. Accident was on Day 8, took pill on Day 9. Very concerned since I’m not on birth control. Thank you for all of your help - anything additional appreciated.

Don't worry at all.

Plan B works in most of the times even if taken late in the period.

Your ovulation is most likely around day 14 as you have a 28 day cycle.

Implantation bleeding takes at least 6 days or more.

This bleeding is simply due to plan B most likely.Nothing to worry about.

Do take a moment and click on the stars on top left of this thread to rate this with 5 stars.

I'll be here for any further questions.

Thank you

In order to rate this you simply need to click on the 5 stars on top left corner.

You are not charged anything for rating positively.

Thank you

medicaldoctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought Plan B only worked 48 hours before ovulation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also how soon can I resume my medications - I’ve read Plan B is out of your system in a week? Thanks again for your help.

No plan B is effective within 72 hours after sex.

The earlier you take it the more effective it is.

You can continue taking your medication.Plan B does not interact with Bactrim DS.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I meant can I continue to take my other medications. I take triptans and Fiorcet fairly regularly for migraines and Lortab rarely (maybe bi-monthly?) for back pain. But I’m terrified of taking anything that might make the Plan B less effective. Thank you again for your help.

Triptans and fioricet won't interact or make plan B less effective.

Don't worry

medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor, Doctor