OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the accuracy of a labcorp nuswab test for

trichonomas? Also, can Trich be...
What is the accuracy of a labcorp nuswab test for trichonomas? Also, can Trich be detected in a colposcopy?
3/17/2018
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., obgyn and I will respond. Trichomonas was easy to diagnose when looking at a smear of vaginal discharge under the microscope and seeing the organism swimming around. The lab tests are reliable because the organisms are so obvious no matter how they are looked at. In colposcopy, there are some changes you can see when doing the procedure but then just using the microscope will show them. Gyns don’t use the microscope much anymore and that’s unfortunate.
Can you see it with the naked eye in discharge? I had funny discharge after my pap
Also is it spread through seamen?
You can only see them with the microscope. Some men can be carriers and it can be spread.
How? Seamen?
If there is no ejaculation does it reduce risk? I tested negative with a labcorp swab test
Women have been treated without treating the male and they don’t get a recurrence. It’s never been proven that the male can transmit it to a woman. Many women are seen without symptoms of a discharge they don’t complain about yet trichomonas is found. If a woman has exclusive relations with a man, then the male could be the source. There’s no way to tell how long ago the male got the trichomonas. Condoms would protect transmission both ways, other wise precum can transfer the trichomonas.
I experienced an assult 2 years ago. I get regular paps and had a labcorp swab test for trichanosis that was negative. I also had a colposcopy and wonder if it would have shown up?
This last year after my pap I had wired discharge that I felt looked like three line specs of brown dust mixed with cervical discharge
Is it harder to detect the longer you have it?
If trichomonas is present the doctor can tell using the microscope of the discharge. If it was sent to the lab, that test has a very low chance of being a false negative. So, the lab test is reliable if it is positive for trichomonas or negative for the parasite.
It doesn’t matter how long the person has the trichomonas.
Thanks
I’m glad I can be helpful.
What do you make of the discharge after my pap?
I can’t make anything out of the discharge from my vantage point.
Is it normal to have so odd discharge after pap?
With the hpv test does some stuff get loosened up?
The Pap smear is done to assure the patient that they are not at risk for cancer. I’m not allowed to go beyond your question about the test for trichomonas. Speculating about vaginal secretions after a Pap smear examination is meaningless.
I’d appreciate a rating of your satisfaction with our communication about the facts around your concern. I’ve spent decades informing patients about vaginal infections and the sources of the problems. Thanks again for using Justanswer.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Of course, thanks so much. Also last thing does trich cause PID? And/ Fallopian tube scarring? Will it prevent pregnancy?
Trich doesn’t lead to PID. I’ve seen many pregnant women who have trich so it doesn’t appear to prevent pregnancy.
Had a second Trich test and it was negative. Have a great weekend! Thank you for your care
You’re welcome.