OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Can I get a herpes outbreak on my upper chest 24 hours after…

Customer Question
Hi can I get...

Hi can I get a herpes outbreak on my upper chest 24 hours after possible infection

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

I have a red spot on my penis and a possible outbreak after oral sex. I've had the itchy blister or outbreak for 2 weeks now

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a white spot on the penis not red

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm a male and I had oral sex with a female 20 days ago on Sunday. The following day on Monday I started getting a itchy blister or possible outbreak on my upper chest. A week later I got this white spot on my penis. Also during that week I got tested and came out negative.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My phone number is(###) ###-####can I speak with someone directly
3/17/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic
If you got tested for herpes and the results were negative then you do not have herpes infection. Do you have other symptoms? Has the rash gotten better?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The rash is still there and its still itching and I've had it for 20 days now. But I tested 8 days after possible infection. Should I have waited longer to get tested ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The other possible symptom is a white spot on the middle of the penis
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also the penis looks a little more red than usual
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I test again after 2 weeks of possible infection ?

I need to step away for an emergency. Ill be back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long shouldI wait to get tested for std after possible infection
OB GYN Doctor: ,  replied 1 month ago
Phone call session started
OB GYN Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hi... Coming directly to the specific question which is causing you concern -Most people who test positive for herpes antibodies will do so three to four months from the time of possible infection, although sometimes the test will turn positive as early as four weeks after exposure.As you have tested yourself too early (8 days after the possible contact) I suggest that you wait for at least 3 months before getting tested again." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the white spot on penis one week after infection ? What std symptom can that be ?
May I request you to upload an image of the white spot which you are mentioning so that I can see and get back to you.I am requesting this because skin conditions are best diagnosed and treated after seeing them directly.

Hi... I have seen the image which you have provided. This looks like a isolated herpetic lesion. Usually such lesions are very painful and itchy. If the symptoms are present then it is prudent the think that it is because of herpes.

But if the symptoms are not present then we should consider the possibility of an evolving viral wart probably because of HPV infection.

These are the only two sexually transmitted diseases which we should be keeping in mind in the differential diagnosis after going through the symptom analysis and seeing the image of the skin lesion.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so if it is hpv. What can happen with me ? Am I still able to have healthy children ? And is that curable ?
Hi...
1. In men, most HPV infections go away on their own and don’t cause any health problems. However, if an infection does not go away, it is possible to develop HPV symptoms months or years after getting infected. This makes it hard to know exactly when you became infected. Lasting HPV infection can cause genital warts or certain kinds of cancer. It is not known why some people develop health problems from HPV and others do not.2. You can have healthy children and nothing to worry about it at all.3. Once HPV enters the body - It stays there for lifetime and I am extremely sorry to say that there is no option of cure. But you may remain an asymptomatic carrier for your lifetime.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I pass hpv to somebody that doesn't have it ? And do I need to take treatment ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what does it mean that job infections can go away on their own but hpv stays in your body a lifetime ?
Hi...
1. There is a possibility that you can pass on HPV to somebody who do not have it... By sexual contact.2. There is no need to take any treatment for HPV as there is no such thing. I'm sorry to say this. There is no specific treatment for HPV, but there are treatments for health problems caused by HPV. Genital warts can be treated by your healthcare provider, or with prescription medication.3. I am extremely sorry to say that, there is currently no approved test for HPV in men.4. What I meant is that sometimes the HPV can be completely removed from the body by the body's own immune mechanism and this is a probability... But not a definite possibility. But what the scientific evidence in medical literature says is that once infected with HPV, the virus will stay in the body, but the person can be completely asymptomatic.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does it mean to be asymptomatic ?

Asymptomatic means without any obvious symptoms or manifestations.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I lower the risk of passing hpv to someone that doesn't have it. How can I get someone pregnant and not infect her ?
Hi... There are two options by which you can minimise the risk of HPV to your partner.
1. Get yourself vaccinated with HPV vaccine and there is a chance that, if you are not infected with HPV you may not get it in future as the vaccine is 99.99% effective.I am suggesting this is a first option because all this we are discussing is on the assumption that you may have HPV.2. Use condoms the correct way every time you have sex. This can lower your chances of transmitting not only HPV but also any other sexually transmitted disease. However, HPV can infect areas that are not covered by a condom, so condoms may not give full protection against getting HPV.Coming to the issue of getting somebody pregnant without infecting her is very questionable and I am sorry to say this.A person may have had HPV for many years before it causes health problems. If you or your partner are diagnosed with an HPV-related disease, there is no way to know how long you have had HPV, whether your partner gave you HPV, or whether you gave HPV to your partner.But I am sorry to say that till now there is no one hundred percent effective way that when a male is infected with HPV, there is no chance by which we can find out whether he is infecting his sexual partner or not. It is important that sex partners discuss their sexual health and risk for all STIs, with each other.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I was diagnosed with hpv there is a chance that hpv can go away if I take care of myself ?
Hi... There is a chance that your immunity may take care of the virus. But as I said this is only a probability and not a definite possibility.
But till now if you have not gotten vaccinated I suggest that you get yourself vaccinated with HPV vaccine.
Regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got this breakout 2 weeks ago and its been itching everyday. What kind of medicine cream or antibiotics can I take for the breakout that I got on my chest that I've had for over 2 weeks ?
Hi... You can use acyclovir ointment for application on it.If the itching is very intense you can use syrup Benadryl at the dose of 10 ml 3 times a day for a period of 3-5 days till the itching subsides.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok the acyclovir they told me at the parkway that it is only prescribed. So I'm going to use. Benadryl... I'm going to send you a pic of the itching maybe you can give me feedback about it. I've had it for 12 days now
Hi... This looks like a herpes lesion and I suggest you use acyclovir as prescribed and also Benadryl if there is itching to prevent it from spreading.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can it be herpes even if its on the chest
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I impregnate someone and have a healthy baby with herpes ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the chances of herpes lesion showing up on my chest 24 hours after possible infection ?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

It is possible to get a herpes infection of the skin of the chest, but it is not really a sexually transmitted type of infection, It is seen most often in significant skin-to-skin contact and there is already some damage to the skin, such as in wrestlers. The medical term is herpes gladiatorum. This is far less common than the usual oral or genital infections with HSV. The diagnosis cannot be made based on appearance alone. If there is a suspicious lesion, then a direct test for herpes can be done. Blood tests to look for antibody development can also be done, but as the other expert noted, it can take months for antibody test to be accurate.

If the lesion has persisted for 20 days, it is unlikely to be herpes. Other types of skin infections, either bacterial or fungal, should be considered.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can a male with herpes impregnate someone and have a healthy child ?

Absolutely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long should I wait to get tested again after possible infection through oral sex ? I had oral sex performed on me and a week later I went and got tested and I came out negative. But I've had possible symptoms like the itchy "lesion" on my chest (13 days has been itching) and also a white spot on the middleof the penis (that showed up a week after possible infection). Tomorrow it will be 2 weeks after possible infection.

For the blood test, you should wait three months after exposure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For the symptoms that I am having what is likely the std that I might have ?

From your symptoms, the only STD that you might have is that the white spot could be an HPV infection, as the other expert noted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you see the picture that I sent ? Could that be a herpes lesion ?

I saw both pictures. If you mean the lesion on the penis, no, it does not look like herpes. If you mean the chest, it could be herpes, but the duration of the lesion speaks against it being herpes, as I noted above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long would a herpes lesion last ? I've had this itchy lesion for 13 days now.

The skin lesions of herpes typically clear up within 7-10 days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can be another reason for the lesion to be there and be active for 13 days now. The weekend before I got it I had started using a new body wash... I am also a heavy cocaine user. Could any of those also have anything to do with it ?

I mentioned the other possibilities above. It does not look like a reaction to body wash or cocaine use.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My next step is to go to a walkin clinic on Monday. Is there anything that I should avoid with the lesion on me ? Like avoid sexual contact or skin contact with anybody ?

The only thing that you need to avoid are general recommendations for all skin lesions - avoid picking scratching, rubbing, etc. You should regularly clean it, but otherwise leave it alone. It is OK to cover it with a bandage to keep from touching it, but the body hair in the area makes that difficult. There is no need to avoid anything else, including no need to avoid sexual contact.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just noticed 2 more spots on my stomach. One of them feels bumpy and the other doesn't. What can that be
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been stressing about this and I haven't been eating right

If they look the same, they would likely be more of the same, as you can spread skin infections elsewhere with your hands.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me one last comforting thing about my situation. I just been stressing it a lot these past couple of weeks.

I am not sure what would be more comforting than what I said above - the duration of the lesion speaks against it being herpes.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor