OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a miscarriage last week at 7 weeks. Blighted Ovum. I…

Hi. I had a...

Hi. I had a miscarriage last week at 7 weeks. Blighted Ovum. I was given Cytotec to insert vaginally every 4 hours for 24 hours. That was a weeks ago from this past Thursday. I bled and passed the tissue by Friday night. On This last Thursday I started bleeding with a lot of clots which I assumed was my regular cycle. By Friday I was soaking through 3 pads an hour and passing clots the size of my hand. I was out of town for work but decided to drive the 3 hours back home and while sitting I was okay. The bleeding seemed to have slowed down by Friday night. I woke up in the middle of the night to more pain and pressure and had to change my pad and had passed another large clot. I went back to sleep and since I’ve been up for the past 1 1/2 hours I have been on the toilet as everytime I stand up I gush and pass more large clots. I’m not lightheaded or dizzy but wondering if I should seek the ER until my OBGYN open up next week.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

Pain and pressure. It’s been going on for 3 days now. Enough pain to finish off the presecription pain meds left from the miscarriage.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a history of endometriosis but haven’t had issues in years with it.

3/17/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I think this is a continuation of miscarriage process but you are bleeding too much and since your doctor is not available until next week, it is better to go to ER and get a thorough examination and strong painkillers to be on safe side.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Just wondering, what would or might be necessary for the ER to do as far as treatment? A D&C to clear it up?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you might need DnC to clear the retained product and some medicines to stop the bleeding and painkillers.

Please do not forget to leave 5 stars.

Wish you good health.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor