OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve been skipping my period since January, but have had…

Customer Question
Hello, I’ve been...

Hello, I’ve been skipping my period since January, but have had spotting ever since then.. I’m going on vacation in 3 weeks and wanted to stop my birth control pills now to get my period early, however it would be in the middle of a pack. Is that okay to do?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/17/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Which pill are you on?

When you say you've been skipping your period, does that mean you've been taking the active pills continuously? Thank you.

I’m on Alesse, and yes I’ve been taking the active pills continuously

S​o sorry for the delay. I was away.

It would be fine top stop your pills and let your period come. I would recommend it. When a woman tries to avoid periods by taking her pills continuously, it often works well for some time, but then after a while, she may develop spotting or bleeding. The solution is usually to stop the pill and let the period come. You can stop for 7 days, then re-start your pills. Usually the spotting will disappear after that. And as long as you don't stop for more than 7 days, you will continue to be protected from pregnancy. Best wishes.