OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just got back my transvaginal US results. I have a 9cmx9cm…

I just got back...

I just got back my transvaginal US results . I have a 9cmx9cm cyst on my right ovary and fibroids . They could find my left ovary. I’m in meanopusev, 48 years old . My hcg is slightly elevated at 8.0 , CA 125 negative . I couldn’t talk to my pcp but the NP gave me the results and all she could say is I need to see a Gyn . Do you think it could be ovarian ca?

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) How old are you? What symptoms are you having?

48years old . I have really no symptoms . I feel bloated at times but nothing unusual .

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

Every thing was normal for paps . I haven’t had a period in almost a year , except some spotting a month ago that lasted one day

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a Leep done in 2003

3/16/2018
medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Your CA 125 is negative.

Except bloatedness you don't have any other signs.

You see in order to evaluate an ovarian cyst CA 125 plus RMI (risk of malignancy index ) is measured.

Your RMI score depends on a number of factors like features of cyst on ultrasound and CA 125.

RMI score of greater than 200 means high risk and less than 25 means low risk and between them is intermediate risk

So if ultrasound did not show concerning cyst feature then it is most likely to be benign.

If there is anything concerning or your RMI score is high then further imaging with CT scan or MRI is required.

It is very inconclusive at this stage to say with surety that this is benign or cancerous but as your CA 125 is negative plus you don't have any other symptoms so this is likely to be benign (not cancerous)

But this needs further assessment.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

You are not charged for rating positively.I'll be here for any follow up questions
Thank you.

Best wishes

medicaldoctor
Thank you and I will see my GYN as scheduled next week