OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy in August/September that…

Hi there. I had...

Hi there. I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy in August/September that was treated with Methotrexate. My HCG levels went down to 0 November 1st. Since then, we have been Trying to conceive again, with no luck. Went to a specialist who ordered a Femvue sono HSG which I had on Monday. They called me back to tell me that "the cavity was abnormal" there was "Something" in there, or some sort of "Anomoly". They put me on microgestin for 2 weeks, when I bleed again, I need to have a saline sonogram. They said they didn't think it was a fibroid, it was in the center, and it could potentially be leftover blood or tissue from the early loss. Question - 1) what is the difference between the Femvue and the Saline Sonogram? 2) What would the Saline Sonogram show that the Femvue didn't? I thought the Femvue showed the uterus as well as the tubes. 3) Why did they put me on birth control for 2 weeks? To time the test, or to change my uterine lining and flush out whatever is in there?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

OK. I also have Ulcerative Colitis which is well controlled. I also am nervous about the BCP and antibiotics affecting that, so I am not looking forward to another procedure

3/15/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you still need help?

no call, email is fine.

1)The saline penetrates more easily but doesn't light up as well

they just want to see if it can pass

2)Yes, it might

3)They want to change the lining of the uterus and look again

Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn, and I can respond shortly.
FemVue is a recent development where the patency of the Fallopian tubes can be evaluated without X-rays that are also used for the traditional hysterosalpingogram that has been used for at least forty years. When transvaginal ultrasound was developed in the early 1980’s, we could see pelvic structures like never before. To really see the uterine cavity well, we started introducing saline in through the cervix so that the fluid could highlight some findings that were better visualized by expanding the uterine cavity and distinguish polyps from fibroids or old blood clots that can look like a mass. The FemVue device introduces saline with air bubbles that make it possible to see the fluid with bubbles getting through the tubes. The bubbles make it hard to see any details in the uterine cavity. They put you on the pill to shrink what they thought they saw. I imagine just doing a transvaginal ultrasound again can show whether the “anomaly” was gone.
Thank you! That was a thorough answer about the difference between the tests and what the birth control will hopefully accomplish.
Good luck. You can rate your satisfaction with my response.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN