OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 17 weeks pregnant and have had an extremely complicated…

I am 17 weeks pregnant...
I am 17 weeks pregnant and have had an extremely complicated journey thus far.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have placenta previa and placenta abruption. I am young (25) I’m not over weight, I’m not a smoker, I have no health issues. I just want to know if previa and abruption make you high risk
3/14/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, placenta previa makes a pregnancy high risk but there are ways around it because most of the patients with placenta previa can plan a c section when they reach full term. Placental abruption makes the pregnancy very high risk and has many complications.

So, the answer to your query is yes, both make the pregnancy high risk.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can placenta abruption (5cm) resolve itself? I am on complete bed rest and my obgyn are refusing to refer me to a high risk but they are also telling me that “if” I can carry my baby til 24 weeks then he may be able to survive in an Incubator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also my placenta previa is complete so I already believe I will have a c section and I’m ok with that more concerned on my abruption

This is indeed a complicated situation.

And yes, they are right. If you make it to later than 24 weeks then the baby has a better chance of survival.

With placental abruption, the degree depends on partial or complete abruption. If this were a complete abruption then an immediate c-section would have been done to save your life. Since this is a partial abruption strict bed rest and other supportive measures can help maintain the pregnancy. So, it does not resolve itself even if it is a partial abruption but medical support ensures that both the baby and the mother maintain good health for as long as possible.

Yes, definitely - the abruption is more concerning than the previa.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would other medical support consist of?

Close monitoring of heart rate and blood pressure. Doing serial ultrasounds and hemoglobin and hematocrit levels.

Keeping the blood pressure in the optimum range. Hematinic agents to halt or suppress the bleeding.

Emotional support. Bed rest and monitoring of intake/output.

Educating the mother on the risks and outcomes etc.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!​

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor