OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

About 2 weeks ago I had a yeast infection and it was pretty…

Hi so about 2...

Hi so about 2 weeks ago I had a yeast infection and it was pretty bad so I used monistat and after about a week or so it went away. Once I thought it went away I tried having sex and it was very swollen and bled. Then a few days later I tried again and it seemed fine. But after that, I started to notice some symptoms of a yeast infection again so I used monistat one and that seemed to knock it out. Now it’s been 2 days and I tried to have sex again but I was rly swollen in the opening of my vagina/ canal. More up there it wasn’t swollen but the first part was. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Is it maybe just swelling from the monistat?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you dealt with the yeast infection? Have you experienced this in the past?

Yes once before but it wasn’t bad

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

No nothing irregular

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing I can think of

3/14/2018
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Nothing too serious here

You have a resistant type of yeast that just hasn't responded properly to the Monistat

At this point you need three days of prescription oral Diflucan to clear this up

Please let me know if you need any more information

Ok thank you!
Even thought I have no other symptoms of itching or discharge?

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General practice
Sorry I don’t know if you so my last question
But if I don’t have any other symptoms of itching or discharge anymore could that still be the case?

Sorry--that came on after I had answered

Even without a discharge or itching it's still the yeast infection