OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a yeast infection and i took the Monistat 1 day ovule…

Hello, I had a...

Hello, I had a yeast infection and i took the Monistat 1 day ovule treatment last night and this morning i began to have pink discharge and now I am bleeding like a period but its different and its like there is discharge with the blood too. Is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Slight slight burning sensation, and i mean very small. they are not super regular they are closer to 23 to 25 days than 28 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been getting yeast infections commonly for over a year now and gone to doctors who have had me begin to take lots of probiotics which has helped but i still get them monthly only for a day or two but this one i decided to treat with monistat instead of waiting for it to pass

3/14/2018
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

if you are close to being due to having your period, then this bleeding could be period bleeding mixed with your vaginal yeast infection and the monistat treatment all together

that could be what is causing the pink like discharge.

I do believe this is a few days early for my period so it could have sort of triggered it? I just want to make sure this isnt super abnormal or im having an allergic reaction or something. I also do not understand why I continue to get these infections so often which is why i took monistat to begin with because it was something different than what i had been doing. - Thank you.

yes your period could be a few days early

an allergic reaction would cause rash, itching, worse pain and swelling

it doesn't sound like you are having an allergic reaction

it sounds like early menstrual bleeding mixed with a vaginal infection

Okay great thank you so much that eases my mind. Do you have any thoughts as to why I keep getting yeast infections about monthly? for almost 2 years now.

excessive moisture in the area can cause vaginal fungal infection

keeping the vagina area dry can help prevent fungal infection.

using baby powder can help keep the area dry

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Thank you I will have never tried baby powder I will need to try that if I get another one after all this. Thank you for your help.

you are welcome
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com