OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I started my period 4 days early and I am concerned why this…

Hello, I started my...

Hello, I started my period 4 days early and I am concerned why this has happened?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Medical record of what?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope, nothing else

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how old you are?
Are you currently taking hormones or using anything to prevent pregnancy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 26. I am not taking anything to prevent pregnancy. My last period was the 18th of February. I have had a very regular 27 day cycle. I was reading online that STDS/PID can cause an early period. Now I am scared to death. I used a q-tip to check if it was really blood and it was. It looks like how it looks when I'm about to start my period. Its just so so weird. I didn't even get my usual cramping. I had light cramping but that was it. I have attached pictures. Sorry if its kind of graphic!

Thank you. Preparing a response, will be with you shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, thank you!

If you are otherwise feeling well, it is very unlikely that you have PID.

Anything that affects our hormones can in turn affect our menstrual cycles and bleeding - that includes what we're eating, how much we're sleeping, our stress level, etc. Any of these things can in turn cause your period to be a little early or a little late. What you're describing does not sound like anything to worry about.

That all being said, I do recommend that you see your doc at some point (not an emergency) to make sure you're up to date on your pap smear. You can also ask for STD testing at that time. Most STDs have no symptoms, and people are not aware that they have them, so I always offer testing to my patients.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thats good to know. I am feeling well. I had a yeast infection last week but that seems to have cleared after I took Difflucan. Another thing Im worried about is pregnancy. I read somewhere that an early period could be implantation bleeding? Is that something I should be concerned about?

If you're within a couple days of your period starting, this is most likely just your period.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thats good to know. Thank you so much
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN