OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was told I had a little of bacterial vaginosis a month ago…

Customer Question
Hi, I was told I...
Hi, I was told I had a little of bacterial vaginosis a month ago and a uti, I took antibiotics for the uti, and nothing for the bc as my doctor said that the body usually takes care of it. I had no symptoms until I had sex, which lead to inflamed vaginal labia, sore clitoris and itchiness which I went to a doctor on Sunday and she saw nothing abnormal so she tested my ph which was low and gave me metronidazole gel insert. I had underneath the clitoris, in the urethra opening, a patch of white skin, most likely from the bv, or yogurt that I applied both topically and internally, that was kind of filmy. Before I used the gel I also had some white bumps, very small, which went away after I used the gel once, which I also heard is a sign of bv. However, the white patch of skin is now raw and red, almost bloody, and I can barely pee. I am stopping to use the gel until the skin heals. Is this normal for bv?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/14/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 month ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

BV usually causes vaginal discharge, odor and irritation but it doesn't usually cause the tissues to become raw and bloody. It could be that the MetroGel had something in it that irritated you.

More to follow in a moment.

I take an approach to my patients with BV in such a way as to fix the underlying problem, which is to re-balance the population of good bacteria in the vagina. Sometimes when that vaginal bacteria gets imbalanced and one type of bacteria outgrows the rest, it can cause disharge and irritation. I recommend the following:

- Stick to eating the yogurt just by mouth, not applying it vaginally. I recommend 1 cup of Activia yogurt per day. This will help replenish the healthy bacteria down there.

- If you shave, stop shaving, at least until this clears up.

- No tub baths. Shower and use an unscented Dove bar. Just let soapy water run over the area. No Vagisil, douches, or feminine hygiene products.

- Sleep with your underwear off at night to let oxygen circulate and help heal the tissues.

- Use an unscented for sensitive skin detergent on your underwear.

- And finally, you can try applying coconut oil to the raw area. This will soothe the tissues and provide a nice barrier so it's less bothered by friction, urination etc.

Does this feel like a place to start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's just concerning as I've never had this happen before. And even though i had a little bit of bv i had no symptoms until I had sex, which i noticed a thick white discharge. Can this happen? It can love inside of you and then become active after sex? Also, do you recommend I stop the gel? And what was the while film on the urethra caused from? This was before I started any treatment

It could be something about intercourse triggered the bacterial imbalance that lead to BV. The white film on the urethra could be the vaginal discharge (that just moved over the urethra).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so when do you think the skin will heal there so I can pee again? It's bad. Like raw and also my clitoris is raw as well. It stings like crazy

Put some coconut oil on it; it will help soothe the area. You should start to feel better in a day or 2. If a week goes by and things still aren't better, have your doc take a look at you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks. And I should stop using that antibiotic gel? Because I think it's making it worse? Tonight would be my 4th night out of 5 that were prescribed

Yes, I think the gel is worsening your irritation. You can call your doc for a med you can take orally or just see if things get better with the measures mentioned above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you. In the meantime, until the skin heals, coconut oil is the only thing your recommend to stop the stinging during urination? What about a salt bath?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could this be trich?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Definitely the gel helped to alleviate the vaginal inflammation and the itching and the tiny white bumps...makes me think because of that it was bv
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still available for questions?

Hi there. My apologies, I stepped away from my computer for a moment.

Will be with you shortly.

- You could try something called Sitz baths, which is where you fill the tub with a couple inches lukewarm water and soak for a couple minutes. You can do this 1-2x/day and it can soothe the area.

- It seems unlikely to be trich especially if you've been examined recently. The only way to know for sure, though, is to have a swab done to test you for it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so it's just a bad case of bv most likely. I was just unsure whether bv would cause painful urination and inflammation of the clitoris and inner labia with white bumps in the vaginal folds.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I guess the white bumps are due to the infection needing a place without oxygen to live?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would ibuprofen help numb the pain of urination?

Without looking at the white bumps I cannot tell you exactly what they are, but the vagina is dynamic - this means the tissues are constantly changing. The bumps could just be your tissues changing in response to the infection and/or inflammation. Nothing you're describing sounds like an STD esp if you've had a recent normal exam.

Yes, ibuprofen will help the pain, but a barrier cream (like the coconut oil) will do the most to soothe the area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you suggest I can put a tiny drop of tea tree oil and coconut oil?

My apologies, I've been away from my computer for the past couple of days.

Coconut oil is just fine.

I would stay away from putting tea tree oil in or around the area because some people can be pretty sensitive to it.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN