OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 2 months postpartum and got put on birth control pills…

I am 2 months postpartum...
I am 2 months postpartum and got put on birth control pills almost 2 weeks ago and I took them for 2 days then forgot them when I went on vacation, so I haven’t taken them for 6 or 7 days. What do I do about taking them again?
3/13/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. After not having taken your birth control pills for about 1 week, I would stop for now and re-start a new new pill pack after your next period ends. You basically want to start fresh with a new cycle. Can I help you with anything else?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t started my period at all
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

How can I help you tonight?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got put on birth control pills and only took them for like 2 days before I went on vacation and for got them and missed a week. How do I go about starting them again because I currently don’t have a period from breastfeeding

You can start them anytime. Today even. Just know that you cannot rely on them to prevent pregnancy until you've been on them for 2 weeks, so be sure to you use condoms until you've been taking the pills daily for 2 weeks.

If you've been having unprotected sex, you may wish to take a home pregnancy test just to make sure there are no surprises. Women can get pregnant even if they're breastfeeding and not having a period.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I start a new pack or continue the same pack

You could use the same pack. Missing 2 days won't make a difference. In fact, you might already be missing the "Sunday" and "Monday" pill. You could just pick right up with the Tuesday pill.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was on it for 2 days then missed a week

Grab the pill pack you took those 2 pills from. Did you take the "Sunday" and "Monday" pills back then, 10 days ago or so? Go ahead and pick back up with the "Tuesday" pill today. You can't rely on the pills until you've been taking them for 14 days, so be sure to use a condom in the meantime. Then just continue using the pills, daily, as prescribed.

If you would feel better just plain ol' starting a new pill pack, that'd be fine too. You could start it today if you wanted to. Today is Tuesday, so start with the "Tuesday" pill. Again, can't rely on it til you've been on it for 14 days so use condoms in the meantime.

Does this make sense?

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!!
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN