OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a yeast infection that is resistant to Diflucan. My…

I have a yeast infection...
I have a yeast infection that is resistant to Diflucan. My Dr. prescribed Gynazole 1 2% cream and said it was the only thing that would work. It caused a lot of irritation and redness. Now I have a LOT more discharge than I had before using the cream. Could this be irritation? Or could it be the yeast infection still not going away?
This started in November. I noticed a little more discharge than normal so I went in to be seen. My original Dr prescribed Diflucan that did not work. I called back and they refilled 2 more doses. I then had to go back in a second time to see a nurse practitioner who prescribed 3 more doses of Diflucan. At this point I didn’t notice anything getting better. Again, all I had was a lot of discharge for symptoms. I went to a different Dr for a second opinion. She tested everything, including the resistance of the yeast. This is when she found it was resistant to Diflucan. She also saw that I had a higher amount of Gardnerella bacteria but no other bacteria’s were too high. She prescribed Flagyl and the Gynazole even though she said she normally wouldn’t treat BV just based on one bacteria being high. I feel worse now than I did before all of the medication!
3/14/2018
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. You can often get bacterial vaginosis after repeat treatment for yeast infection. You should give it a few days and not overtreat it
I took flagyl for BV for 5 days and had to stop due to sickness from it. Once I finished that I used the Gynazole. I noticed really bad burning when I went to the bathroom and I was really sensitive. I called my Dr to see if this was normal and they had me come in to check for a UTI and to see if the bacteria was gone. I used the creams for finished the flagyl 2 weeks ago. I still have not heard about my test results and it has been a week. I have just been miserable!
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. This sounds like a yeast infection. I would try otc vagistat one
Would the vagistat 1 work on the type of yeast that I had? I’m not sure what exactly it is called, but I was told that Gynazole is the only thing that would work. And since Gynazole didn’t really help, I am super stressed out about it.
it will
Okay thank you! I did hear back from the Dr. she said that it’s a type of yeast that she doesn’t typically see. (What does that mean?!) she also said it was susceptible to Diflucan, but dose dependent. I am so confused as to what that means.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, I’m Ted Manos M.D., long time obgyn and I’d like to help you if you’re still connected with Justanswer as I have a totally different approach to the yeast situation.
thank you!
I’ve been frustrated for many years treating yeast and the recent studies have shown the value of probiotics and the dietary elements that encourage the growth of good bacteria that aid in digestion and keep bad bacteria and yeast from overgrowing. It’s these yeast in the GI tract that easily keep seeding the vaginal area and causing aggravation. I’ll continue in a moment as my soup is getting cold.
I’m back and continuing about your issue.
To control the yeast we have to reverse the effects of intestinal bacteria that produce substances that actually effect the brain to make us crave sugar and fat. Antibiotics also kill off too many good bacteria including in the vagina and women end up with yeast vaginitis and bacterial vaginitis. We also now know what helps good bacteria in our diets and encouraging adding these to our diets is important. These factors in things like garlic, leeks, apple, walnuts and pistachios are good. Peanuts not good. I have found an otc product called Zenwise capsules that contain the good bacteria with the prebiotic factors in the foods I just mentioned. I’m seeing great results with one or two capsules daily that reverses the situation within one or two weeks. I think one doesn’t have to limit sugar and fat but certainly should not eat too much of this category. I hope you start seeing less symptoms soon.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** sense. I have started using RepHresh Pro B daily. Would I continue with a probiotic while taking a prebiotic?
You should take both then the number of colonies of probiotic isn’t as important as prebiotic helps the growth.
Okay so I would be taking both of these, and they won’t counteract anything or upset my stomach? I attached a picture of the zenwise to make sure I found the right product.
The Zenwise second photo with digestive enzymes is what I use personally that so far I take one per day before breakfast.
You’ll only need the Zenwise.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN