OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

On Sunday took levonorgestrel on Sunday (less than 120hrs…

Hello, on Sunday took...

Hello, on Sunday took levonorgestrel on Sunday (less than 120hrs ago, and within 12 hours of incident). My period would normally be due in 7days. On Tuesday I have breast tenderness and a little cramp. Is this normal with levonorgestrel, or could I have ovulated and its too late.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

What type of record

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I was on antibiotics

3/13/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Since levonorgestrel can cause hormonal fluctuation so it is most likely cause of these symptoms.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Doctor. Would it matter if it’s during the ovulation period
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could the effectiveness of the pill be affected by antibiotics
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

It looks like you have requested another expert.

Just to address your question, most antibiotics do not interfere with pills. Therefore, you don't have to worry about effectiveness of pills while on antibiotics, unless you are taking rifampicin.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up question for me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Doctor, what about the ovulation period. How effective is the pill during that period. I am 7 days away from my normal period due date.

What is your cycle length, 28-30 days? Is it regularly on time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
28-30 days, and i am regular
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last start day of period was 25th of Feb, and incident day was Sunday 11th of March. Took the two pill on the same day, and gain 12hrs later

It looks like you had that event during your ovulation time. But the good part is that you took the emergency contraception within 12 hours. In most cases, it can prevent pregnancy if taken before ovulation, but less effective specially during or after ovulation, it may fail. But still it provides a good protection for most.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor