OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a blood clotting disorder, on warfarin and have a…

Customer Question
I have a blood...

I have a blood clotting disorder, on warfarin and have a clogged defected heart filter. Should a historecetomy or iud be best to stop heavy on going bleeding?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good just bleeding heavy a lot off and on

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/13/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, in your situation, the hormonal IUD may be considered as the best option to stop ongoing heavy bleeding IF the INR (test to check the efficacy of warfarin) is within the therapeutic range of 2-3. Studies have shown that an IUD can be an effective alternative to bleeding in these situations and it may be helpful in controlling heavy bleeding. HOWEVER that being said, a hysterectomy has to be kept in mind when the bleeding is VERY SEVERE and you are losing massive amounts of blood (this would be you dropping a single point of hemoglobin in a single day or even more), in that situation there would not be enough time for the IUD to work and a hysterectomy would have to be considered. If the bleeding is not so severe as pointed out above, then an IUD can be attempted first and if that fails we can go for the hysterectomy.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering if the iud will effect my sex drive, I have notice a drastic decrease in wanting sex. Lately and don't know why
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also is it ok to have rough sex with an iud

It can affect your sex drive (in RARE cases - in most cases it does not affect the sex drive at all), but usually, it has a beneficial effect on your sex drive rather than reducing it. This effect can enhance your sex drive in SOME cases. But as I pointed out earlier in most cases, it won't change it at all.

Also, rough sex won't cause any problems with an IUD, however, I would advise against it in the first few days after getting it inserted or at least until it controls the heavy bleeding. Afterward you can start with your normal sexual activity.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you have thanks

You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today, do remember to rate me by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor