OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 36 years old, is ortho evra safe for me to take? And if…

Customer Question
I am 36 years...

I am 36 years old, is ortho evra safe for me to take? And if so, can I also take vitex

Doctor's Assistant: Are you using any contraceptives other than Ortho Evra?

Not using anything now. Took a break from bc but got pregnant, had a miscarriage. Don't want another oopsie

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

Last summer. No irregular results

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Mother died from breast cancer,around the age I am now. I got off my previous bc because my thyroid numbers were a little irregular. I think it made a difference cause it went back to normal. I also want to know if or what's the best bc for my age

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/13/2018
OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

What type of doctor is prescribing this?

None yet. I'm thinking of getting on ortha evra, but I take vitex now, so i wanted to take both

OK

So I assume you are taking vitex for menopausal symptoms?

No it regulated my period, but apparently made me fertile as well��

It can have an effect on fertility.

So you are thinking of going on conventional birth control for this effect, correct?

What is your exact question as to safety?

Well I'm 36, is ortho evra safe for my age. Plus I have a family history of breast cancer. Is it ok to take the vitex while on birth control, because I want to keep my cycle average flow

Safety has to be based on medical assessment and examination, in addition to family history. Has your doctor made this assessment and what did he/she say? Or are you asking about side effects in general?

Or are you asking about the promotion of breast cancer?

I'm asking because I've read that birth control after 35 is not good. Is ortho evra a good thing for a woman my age and with my family history of breast cancer (Mother died from it at my age now?) And also whatever birth control I decide will the vitex interact with it or is it safe to take

it depends on your breast receptors.

If you have estrogen positive receptors, then it is not a good idea.

In fact, hormonal control has many side effects potentially, but with low dose pills and preparations, these are minimized.

The risk of breast cancer MIGHT be increased in general.

Please look at this summary:

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/hormones/oral-contraceptives-fact-sheet

While your supplement is most likely safe with your medications, that is not certain at all since there are not studies as to the interactions. So, it is guess work at this point for the most part.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually on the page]. In fact, and this is most important for continued service, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.