OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Bleeding after menopause is that normal? About 3yrs ago.

Customer Question
Bleeding after menopause is...

Bleeding after menopause is that normal?

Doctor's Assistant: What symptoms are you having? When did menopause start?

About 3yrs ago. Started bleeding 4 days ago

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

About 3 months ago had a pap and was normal

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/13/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 1 month ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

It is not normal.

The post menopausal bleeding needs attention for the cause. The cervix or uterine cancers are one of the causes but it is likely to be because of the other benign or harmless reasons. The causes with incidences are;

1) Atrophic vaginitis (2%)

2) Endometrial atrophy (55%)

3) Endometrial polyps (15%)

4) Endometrial cancer (10%)

5) Endometrial hyperplasia (10%)

6) Hormonal effect (7%)

7) Cervical cancer (less than 1%)

8) Other (hydrometra, pyometra, hematometra: less than 1%)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bleeding-after-menopause/AN01824

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaginal-bleeding/HO00159

Though, it is mandatory to consult your gynecologist to rule out various genital cancers, you can see that the cancer attribute only around 11% for the causes and majority are the benign reasons. Endometrial atrophy and endometrial polyps are the most common causes of postmenopausal bleeding. Endometrial carcinoma is the cause in about 10 percent of patients. So, need not worry, as more chance is that, there is nothing serious.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor