OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a rash on my vulva for 19 days. I went to my

gynecologist around day 6 and...
I have had a rash on my vulva for 19 days. I went to my gynecologist around day 6 and he said it did not appear to be herpes. I went to my dermatologist today thinking I may have a bacterial infection from waxing. My dermatologist looked at it and said herpes and prescribed valtrex. How long will it take for the valtrex to work?
3/13/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Valtrex works within 3-5 days, although in some people the intensity of the syptoms decrease within 2 days.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does herpes effect fertility?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ability to conceive and implementation?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
May I send you a picture and get your opinion?

Yes, please post a image.

No, herpes does not affect fertility in any way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attached
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is one from yesterday

This does look like,herpes although the blisters are not very clear.

is it very painful, especially to touch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not to touch.

Please apply the Valtrex for at least 5 days - it should help clear that rash.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This pix is more clear
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do wax. I was assulted 2.5 years ago. I tested negative at 24 days.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve had no issues like this in the last 2 Years
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband does get cold sores. Would herpes coming out of dormancy cause flu symptoms?

Yes, herpes coming out of dormancy can cause flu like symptoms.

Cold sores in the mouth are generally caused by herpes 1 and genital herpes is caused by herpes 2 although in some cases, both the virus can cause infection in either of the sites.

Please get a blood test for herpes - that will be informative.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the blood test I got following the assault. Was that not accurate?

That depends on the type of test if you had the Elisa test, then 24 days is the time within which the virus would show up.

But 68 days is the maximum time limit - if you are negative at 68 days, you are negative.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I had Elsa it wAs gold standard Hospital grade testing
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will get a blood test tomorrow. Thank you for your care

You are welcome.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor