OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

This is really two questions on the same topic. Some

background: I had a partial...
This is really two questions on the same topic. Some background: I had a partial hysterectomy in 2012 leaving one ovary and my cervix. For a while I had some hormonal symptoms and I used estradiol patches. 075mcg. I stopped using it because of my adhesive allergy not thinking that there could be some other kind of adhesive that could be used. I was fine and didn't have any of my former symptoms so at that time, I didn't get a prescription field. Recently, I have had some bearable hot flashes. But I have also been cranky emotional like I was before I started the patches. When I described it to my girlfriends they thought it might be hormonal. I don't like feeling cranky and being in danger of saying mean things to my husband or anyone else. Do you think I should start using the patches. I did pick up a script then decided not to use them at that time preferring to ask a second opinion.
The other issue is regarding my cervix. I have chronic severe constipation and my cervix is prolapsed to the point of being nearly outside of my body. Several months ago I went to see a gynecologist because I noticed a lump on the cervix that I could feel and then saw by taking pictures. She removed the lump which she said was probably from friction and that I should think about having my cervix removed. I asked her if there would be any new hormonal issues if I had it removed. I wanted to get a second opinion on that also. I'm concerned mainly about dryness and sexual problems. Are these problems any more likely than they are now? I should tell you that I did have problems like that for a few months after my partial hysterectomy but all but vaginal dryness has disappeared.
3/12/2018
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concerns. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn, and I can respond shortly.
From your text it appears that your symptoms are related to estrogen deficiency and the manner of replacing the deficiency needs to be discussed with your gynecologist. The type of estrogen and patches versus creams or pills are choices to be made. Your problem with your cervix and some degree of pelvic relaxation can be handled with surgery and shouldn’t effect the hormones. Lack of estrogen causes some thinning of the vaginal lining and sensitivity during sex. This also interferes with intimacy with your spouse as there is fear of discomfort and this retards the natural lubricants produced during arousal which makes the satisfaction difficult. I hope I’ve given you useful information and should be covered by your gynecologist who attempts to help you in this sensitive time of life. You can rate your satisfaction with my knowledge and experience.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
When you mention surgery, are you talking about removal of cervix? Anything else would be futile since I have not been able to resolve the constipation issue. ( just want to make sure we are on the same page). I am working on the constipation issue w/my pcp. This Probably sounds weird, but I am not concerned with the dryness issue for intimacy purposes because we use ky jelly. My concern is for general comfort and being able to wipe when I urinate. I have large labia which, with dryness, acts like a plug and requires me to use both hands to open up so that I can wipe. Otherwise, urine escapes when I stand up. This is just an annoyance because it is difficult with hardware in my back from surgery.
Other than that need for hrt do you expect any other issue with cervix removal? I will try patches again and let my gyno know how it is going. I am making an appointment now.
The type of surgery depends on the degree of prolapse of the cervix and the integrity of the vaginal wall. Your problem with constipation may or may not be improved with the surgery. So much of GI tract function depends on the balance of good and bad bacteria in the tract, including yeast growth. Restoring bacterial balance is a expanding subject to correct the manifestations of the imbalance.
Thank you for your help. I am taking the probiotic Align and I believe I have a generalized yeast infection and will be going on a yeast free diet soon. I never thought that yeast and bacteria balance would affect constipation. Thank you. ��
The good bacteria help digesting food in the GI tract. Probiotics are essential and there are prebiotics found in some foods. Prebiotics are nutrients that good bacteria need. Bad bacteria thrive on sugar and fat. Good luck.
I just looked at a list of Prebiotic Foods I was happy to find that I eat most of these already. Thank you very much you've been a great help.
I’ve been taking a product called Zenwise that if a capsule with probiotics and prebiotic ingredients the foods have. I take one twice per day and I’m amazed how regular my tract has been.