OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

With herpes hsv1, do you typically get fever prior to ulcer…

Customer Question
With herpes hsv1, do you...
With herpes hsv1, do you typically get fever prior to ulcer presentation? Is the fever typically 102-104?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/12/2018
OB GYN Doctor: medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 1 month ago
medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Yes you can have high grade fever before ulcer presentation.

Fever is not typically 104 but can be between 100 to 104 depending upon the severity of infection.

For how long do you have the fever?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got an ulcer then had a 3-4 day fever between 101-103.5. It may have been flu related. After the fever I developed a rash that I’ve been told is folliculitis with ulcers bursting.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to figure out if it’s a spout of bad luck or herpes outbreak
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no new sexual partners
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ulcer was before the fever started

Is this on your pubic area?

Is it painful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vulva. What do you mean painful? It’s not pleasant but it’s not debilitating
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t hurt to touch

This is not herpes.

Herpes ulcer is typically very painful.

First blisters form and then they ulcerate.

This does seem to be folliculitis.

What medication are you using?

This is not herpes.

You should be using an antibiotic ointment on this.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

You are not charged for rating positively.I'll be here for any follow up questions
Thank you.

Best wishes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just started keppra and solumedrol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went to the dermatologist. She said it is herpes and prescribed valtrex.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked her to check for bacteria so she did a swab. I am confused because it conflicts with my gynecologist diagnosis/assessment of it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am so confused
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long can herpes be dormant? I’m so confused

Herpes can remain dormant for years and can present when a person's immunity is down.

Some people can carry the herpes virus but never develop any symptoms throughout their lives.

While others can carry it for years without any symptoms but can develop the infection when there immunity is a down.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am confused why she looked at it for 5 mins and said herpes and everyone else including my gynecologist said it doesn’t look like herpes. How long will it take the valtrex to work?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I look for a different Obgyn? Was that bad medicine in your opinion?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would have been carrying the virus while on tysabri as well. Would that not have made it fair?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, is this maybe why I haven’t been able to get pregnant?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have so many questions, I am sorry. Lmk if I need to buy another question
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Additionally, I was assulted 2.5 years ago. I had a blood test 24 days later and tested negative. Could that test have been wrong?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I go get more tests?

It can take 2 to 3 days for valtrex to work.

This does not interfere with conceiving or trying to get pregnant.

YES you can have a HSV PCR test in order to confirm whether this is herpes or not.

Please do rate this consultation positively by clicking on the stars.

If you have more questions you can ask in a new thread.Thank you

medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor, Doctor