OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Last week, i first developed a boil-like lump on my face,

Customer Question
Last week, i first...

Last week, i first developed a boil-like lump on my face, along with general pimples/light acne on my back and arms. Also had 2 other large-ish pimples come up. A day or so later, i noticed what i thought was either an ingrown hair or pimple on my labia or outside “lip.” I expressed it, and shortly after developed another...and another. I had left over cephalexin from a recent staph infection, which took care of the boil on my face within a couple of days, however the situation on my labia and around my vagina worsened a bit. Monday i had a 102 fever and wound up in the ER with the worst fever/body aches/chills ive ever had, and a sore throat. The doctor barely looked at the sores on my genitals and said “herpes,” looked at my throat said “strep.” The strep test came back negative and all

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart)

Blood and urine results were normal. She did not test for herpes. She wanted to transfer me to overnight stay at hospital due to fever and so many different infections going on but we finallt got my fever down and i came home. Wound up right back at the er tuesday morning bc fever came back but we finally got it managed and i came back home. I noticed that i also had a bad discharge, and my entire “area” was VERY red and swollen, and in a lot of pain in general.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you dealt with the discharge? Have you experienced this in the past?

I realize that this is most likely herpes, but is there any possibility that this is actually staph? Or can strep cause all of this?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

Last pap was done probably 2013, ive had irregulars in the past - i have a severe case of endometriosis as well. Also tested positice for HPv when i was younger

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The discharge seems to be getting better - they called in fluconazole which i tooke today bu it was already easing up.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/10/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 5 months ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

I​ think that genital herpes is the more likely diagnosis for your genital area, but without being able to see it, I could not say for sure. Unless there is certainty, a herpes culture is important to know for sure. It's probably not too late to do that.

Since this started in your genital area like pimples or ingrown hairs, I'm suspicious that it wasn't herpes. Genital herpes does begin as pimples, but they quickly ulcerate and form small ulcers. This happens quickly enough that I've never seen pimples, only ulcers, and I've seen a lot of genital herpes.

Usually staph and sometimes strep can cause boils. Herpes does not.

I would encourage you to get a herpes culture done soon, so that you'll know for sure. There is also medication to help with the pain and symptoms of genital herpes. Plus it will have an effect on your future sex life to know for sure whether you have genital herpes. Best wishes.