OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just had unprotected sex last Saturday and I took a plan…

Customer Question
Hi I just had unprotected...
Hi I just had unprotected sex last Saturday and I took a plan b right after and took my birth control called Norethindrone he next morning but I got sick and came down with a cold and had to be on antibiotic called Azithromycin also known as z pack I had sex again Thursday and didn’t know he nutted I took the plan b the same day and took my birth control today but also took my last antibiotic today did it cancel out the plan b and birth control
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/9/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay

Dear *****ient, you should not be alarmed because there is no interaction between your birth control pill and azithromycin,
That is why you should not suspend any and you can finish your antibiotic treatment just like taking your birth control pill without any risk

do you have any other question or doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I also took plan b
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took plan b right after I had sex yesterday and I took my last antibiotic today and also did my regular routine with birth control this morning
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I still get pregnant again

it is not necessary to take plan b if you are taking Norethindrone

You can not get pregnant if you have taken your contraceptive regularly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But my other doctor said I could because this wasn’t the real deal birth control

Yes, but you had unprotected sex only on Saturday?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thursday and took plan b a gain Thursday night but I’m on antibiotics

I understand, yes, in that case I suggest again take the plan b.

you should not worry about the antibiotic take it as instructed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But will I get pregnant

no, you will not get pregnant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sir I already took plan b yesterday and I took my antibiotics today did it cancel out plan b

yes, if you already take your plan b after the sexual relationship if you can suspend it,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can really get pregnant after I took plan b and took my last antibiotic today it canceled it out but I’m still on my Norethindrone birth control what will happen Can I get pregnant

There will be no change, since pregnancy will not occur because it is protected with birth control pills.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No sir I’m pregnant I took a test
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love, a different expert.

There is no contraceptive method that prevents pregnancy 100% of the time. Oral contraceptives are very effective when taken regularly, but they are not perfect. The pills that contain progesterone alone, such as norethindrone, are slightly less effective than the combined pills, but they are still very effective when taken regularly.

Plan B also does not work 100% of the time, and is actually less effective than regular use of oral contraceptives, which is why Plan B is not recommended for long term contraception.

So, even if you take your pill regularly and also take Plan B after a specific encounter, the combination also will not be 100%, although the chances of pregnancy are quite low. If you are pregnant, then you are one of the rare woman that would get pregnant despite the use of both contraceptives.

The azithromycin does not affect the effectiveness of the norethindrone or the Plan B. There are some specific antibiotics that can affect contraceptives, but the azithromycin is not one of them.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m pregnant I believe

If you took a pregnancy test and it was positive, then that is a strong indication that you are pregnant.

There are some rare medical condition that can cause a false positive pregnancy test, but the vast majority of positive pregnancy tests indicate that the woman is pregnant.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the other doctor said that I wasn’t

He was making that statement based on likelihood and the overall effectiveness of the contraceptives that you have taken. But if you had a positive pregnancy test, that would indicate that you are one of the rare women that can get pregnant despite the contraceptives.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took 2 plan b one last Saturday and one last Thursday but I took my last antibiotic Friday but I took the plan b that Thursday night after I had sex did it cancel out the plan b since I took my last antibiotic Friday morning Nd took my regular birth control Friday morning

None of that changes that a positive pregnancy test indicates that you are one of the rare women that can get pregnant despite the contraceptives.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The plan b doesn’t delay period really bad my period is really late that’s how I know I’m pregnant

Plan B can cause a period that is a few days late. However, even if the period is later, a late period is not as clear an indication that you are pregnant, as there are many possible causes of a late period. If you took a pregnancy test and it was positive, then that is a different thing. But if you have not done a pregnancy test or you have done a pregnancy test and the pregnancy test was negative, then it is far more likely that you are not pregnant, regardless of whether your period is late.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No we aren’t done I still haven’t had my period after I took to plan b and my period still hasn’t come

That does not mean that you are pregnant. If you want to know whether you are pregnant, then perform a pregnancy test. You said above "I’m pregnant I took a test" and that would usually mean that a woman took a pregnancy test and it showed that she is pregnant.

Did you take a pregnancy test?

Was it positive?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t took one yet but I’m pretty positive I am bcs I had the same side effects as I did with my first child

Symptoms of pregnancy are also unreliable. You need to perform a pregnancy test.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m scared bcs it’s going to come back positive

It is impossible to know that it will come back positive, because you are basing that on unreliable indicators. The odds are more likely that it will be negative, even with the presence of the unreliable indicators.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I thought the antibiotic wouldn’t cancel out the plan b and my Norethindrone birth control

It will not. But as I said above, there is no contraceptive method that works 100% of the time. So, the norethindrone and the Plan B will not work 100% of the time, whether you take the azithromycin or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have pure confidence im pregnant I’m having the first symptoms missed period
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I just had a baby 4 months ago my period was always irregular Nd taken plan b threw it off more

It is impossible to know whether you are pregnant until you perform a pregnancy test.

If your periods are irregular, then it becomes virtually impossible to know when the period is late.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor