OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a yellow discharge, I went to my OBGYN and she ran…

Customer Question
I have a yellow...

I have a yellow discharge, I went to my OBGYN and she ran STD which all came back never and then she stated she look under the microscope and she didn't see and BV or yeast cells. My doctor is not giving any answers on why I'm having this discharge. She did say she saw some WBC under the microscope and she would run more test. I'm so confused and my symptoms are not going away

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

My last Pap smear was a week before the symptoms begun and it showed it was abnormal cells but my doctor said it considered normal because was was not a high rush for HPV

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was on cephelix for 10 days for a skin irritation and I currently take birth control, no other past medical history

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
3/9/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 5 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

All my STD came back negative
Are you there?

Vaginal discharge can be extremely frustrating! It sounds like your pap was not anything to worry about, your STD testing was negative, and you didn't have any other vaginal infections.

It could be an imbalance of the bacteria that normally live in the vagina. The vaginal canal normally has a little population of bacteria living there. If anything throws that bacteria out of the balance (such as recent use of antibiotics), it can cause an imbalance of the bacterial population, and one type of bacteria outgrows the rest. I think we need to restore the health and balance of the vaginal bacteria. I would recommend the following:
- Eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day. This is a good way to replenish the good, healthy bacteria in the vagina.

- Keep your underwear off at night under your PJs. This will let oxygen circulate.

- No tub baths. Just shower and let soapy water run over the area. No Vagisil, douches, or feminine hygiene products - an unscented Dove bar will do.

More to follow.

- When you wash your underwear, use an unscented for sensitive skin laundry detergent.

- And finally, don't shave. Dragging a razor over the skin down there can irritate the already sensitive tissues. If you want to keep things trim, you can use electric clippers for the female genitals (you can get these at Target or Walmart).

Does this seem like a place to start?

But there is a lot of thick yellow discharge and has an order as well. I've had an unbalanced in PH before and it was never this much discharge
Odor

Yes, the imbalance can cause all of that. If you don't have an STD, BV or yeast, we know nothing bad is happening. The vagina is just very unhappy, and I would recommend taking the above steps to restore some of the health and happiness of the vagina.

I also took one of those vaginal screening test from CVS and it stated my ph was abnormal
Can I take probiotics?

It definitely sounds like your pH needs some rebalancing, which can be accomplished via the above methods. The pH imbalance occurs when the bacterial imbalance happens.

Probiotics are great! The Activia yogurt has probiotics but if you'd rather take a pill, that's fine too. The over the counter brand RepHresh (in the feminine products aisle) makes some tablets (and gel inserts) to help rebalance the pH.

After doing the above recommendations how long should I start to see improvement? If I don't start to see improvement what else can I do?

A couple days to weeks. You will see improvement if you consistently stick to the changes.

What should I do if I don't see any improvement? Also when my doctor look under the microscope she saw WBC, doesn't that mean infection?
Are you still there?
Hello?

Hello there. My apologies. I have been away from my computer.

I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

I would try the changes listed above (each and every single one of them) for a SOLID 7 days. If you notice NO improvement after 7 days, go back to your doc and let them evaluate you again, to again make sure that all the STD and infection testing is normal.

It sounds like thus far, we need to improve the vaginal health and improve the bacterial environment. For the vast majority of women, doing the steps listed above very religiously will improve the vaginal health. You've already ruled out all the bad and scary things, so for now we need to work on improving the pH and bacterial environment. There are a dozen "what if" roads we could go down, but for now, I would really, strongly, very wholeheartedly encourage you to start taking some of the measures listed above.

As to the WBCs - these are white blood cells. There are always some WBCs in the vagina. Yes, these are cells that fight infection. A small # will always be present in the vagina because it's part of the vaginal milieu that protects you from any infection that might try to enter your body that way.