OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a mirena iud but i just got my period, will taking…

I have a mirena...

I have a mirena iud but i just got my period, will taking plan b (progesterin only) stop my period

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

The q

3/9/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there! Board-certified obgyn here.

How long has your Mirena been in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
years. its not really about my past medical history the simple question is whether a progesterin-only emergency contraceptive will stop a current period a yes or no answer would be great.

Thank you.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

In short - most likely not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why not?

The dose of progesterone in the Plan B is meant to delay ovulation. It doesn't usually "help" anyone's periods. In fact, many people notice irregular bleeding for a few days or even weeks after taking it, because it throws the regular menstrual cycle out of wack.

The Mirena prevents pregnancy just by sitting in your uterus - your ovaries are still making hormones and ovulating. Many women notice lighter periods with the Mirena because the Mirena releases levonorgestrel through the lining of your uterus, which keeps your uterine lining thin and can lighten periods for many women, and even completely stop some women's periods.

If you are bleeding with the Mirena in place, the Plan B is unlikely to change that. It may affect the timing of your bleeding, but it would not be my first choice to help someone bleeding with a Mirena in place.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there any way to reduce or stop a current period if i already have a mirena in?

There are a few things that can help:

- you could try taking some ibuprofen around the clock. Sometimes this is enough to lighten your bleeding.

Apart from the ibuprofen, these other methods would require a prescription:

- you could try a tiny dose of estrogen per day. This is a good way to balance the levonorgestrel hormone from the IUD and potentially stabilize the lining enough to stop your bleeding.

- you could just start taking a low dose birth control pill. It is super annoying to have to take a birth control pill when you already have the Mirena, but I have a handful of patients who do this because they want the assurance of the Mirena but want their bleeding to be more regulated which is why they take birth control pills on top of that. There is absolutely no harm in doing this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it usually doesnt matter but im visiting my long distance boyfriend and its the only time we'll see each other for the next 6 months so I would really, really strongly prefer to not have my period this weekend.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks!

I'd call your doc and see if they can give you a sample pack of pills. You could even take 2 pills a day just to stop the bleeding in time for your trip.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have leiden factor v so i cant do oral contraceptives but thanks for the help

Oh shoot. Definitely try the ibuprofen then.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you so much.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN