OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I hade unprotected sex the 18 of February when I was

Customer Question
Hello, I hade unprotected...

Hello, I hade unprotected sex the 18 of February when I was supposedly ovulating but he never finished and I took a morning after pill around 12 hrs later. After a week I bleed only for three days. Then I was good I have no pregnancy symptoms. Then like three weeks later I had unprotected sex on the 4th of March took no pill this time. When should I expect my period?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No pain I’m regular with my periods every month

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Did you had unprotected vaginal sex on 4th march?

Were you ovulating, at time of sex on 4th march?

Age?

What is the average cycle length?

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had unprotected sex on the 4th of March.I don’t know if I was ovulating since I took a morning after pill when i had sex on the 18 of February and a week later I bleed for only three days.My age is 23My cycle is every 28 days

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problem

Well, The Ovulation usually takes place 14 days after the beginning of your menstrual cycle.
For women with a 28-day cycle, the 14th day is often the day of ovulation.
Also Prior to ovulation, your cervical mucus is cloudy and thicker, and a few days before ovulation it becomes clear, slippery, and stretchy like raw egg whites.
If fertilization does not occur within 24 to 48 hours after ovulation, the egg disintegrates and is expelled with the uterus lining at the start of your next period.

Most likely, you had sex in safe period.

In your case, probably Ovulation time can be- 7 or 8th march.

You can expect periods to start by by 19-21 march.

Sometimes, Stress/ anxiety/ Hormonal imbalance can cause some fluctuation in period timing.

Most likely, you had sex in safe period, and would not get pregnancy by this incident.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your not helping me
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 month ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

How can I help you tonight?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, I had unprotected sex the 18th of February the day I was supposedly ovulating but he never finished. I still took the morning after pill that same day. Then a week later I bleed for like 3 days and too early for it to be my period. Or Was it my period?

Thank you for the detailed information.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

The way the morning after pill works is that it delays ovulation (the release of the egg). It s a huge dose of hormone that can cause irregular bleeding, which is likely what you experienced a week after taking it.

I would indeed call it your period, because when you bleed, it indicates that a "withdrawal" (or decrease in the levels of) your hormones has occurred, and that is what triggers the bleeding. Once you start bleeding, it's like your menstrual cycle is starting all over again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if I then had unprotected sex a week after that what are my chances of getting pregnant

Low, but unfortunately not zero.

Some (not many, but some) women will ovulate (release an egg) within 7 days of starting to bleed. Throw in the fact that this period was triggered by taking Plan B, and not necessarily in line with your regular menstrual cycle, and it makes your ovulation pattern even less predictable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when should I expect my next period?

It's hard to predict for sure, because of the recent Plan B usage. Sometimes the irregular bleeding can go on intermittently for weeks. But I would estimate, if you're someone with 28 day cycles, you can expect your next period to be about 28 days after this episode of bleeding you had after using Plan B.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 month ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Ted Manos M.D., board certified obgyn. I can comment shortly.
Taking that slug of morning after hormone throws off your menstrual timing. You will probably get a period in three weeks unless you conceived at the March 4th unprotected sex. You wouldn’t know if you conceived for another 7-10 days when a urine test will be positive. There’s no way to tell for now. If you didn’t conceive this time then your period should come on later this month. You can rate your satisfaction with my information.
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN