OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I just had a lumpectomy in the left breast and have started…

I just had a...

I just had a lumpectomy in the left breast and have started a 5 week radiation treatment. They took a wide excision and some lymph nodes and there was no mestatisis. My oncologist is saying i should take a hormone treatment after the radiation ends to lessen the likelihood of recurring cancer in both breasts by 50 percent. First I have to have a bone density dexa scan to determine if I have osteoporosis which would determine which kind of hormone treatment I take. The hormone treatment can cause cervical cancer and the side effects are hot flashes and menopausal symptoms. I am 65 1/2. I really don't want to take the hormones. What is your opinion?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My father died of brain cancer no other cancer in my family history. I have had to have 350 cc of fluid removed from the breast post op.

3/8/2018
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor

your doctor is choosing between AI aromitase inhibitors which can decrease the chance of your breast cancer from coming back by 50% by can cause a 1% increase risks for bone fracture. this is why he is checking your bone density.

or using tamxoifen therapy which cuts your recurrence rates by around 45% but has a small 1% increased risks for uterine cancer and 1% risks for blood clots.

you can always try one of these anti-estrogen hormone therapy and see how you do and you can always stop them at some point if you don't like them

most women tolerate them well with minimal or little side effects

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor