OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My periods are irregular for the most part but I do remember…

my periods are irregular for...
my periods are irregular for the most part but I do remember writing down my May 26, 2017 one. I tried to start tracking it regularly, and I do remember June being somewhere similar as well July, but then again I don't remember. Aug 30th, It was positive. I called toschedule an apt and I was told to come in Sept 18.
They asked me when my LMP was and I just said July 26 although I was unsure.
Sept 18, they said I was 6w3d. If i count back 6w3days that puts me at Aug 5. Is that the day I conceived? And how accurate are early ultrasound scans?
3/8/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there! Board-certified obgyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Hi! Thank you :)

So, the way we figure out how far along a pregnancy is not just counting backwards - we count backwards, then add 2 weeks.

(Check out this pregnancy calculator here; it's the one we use as doctors.) Just a little convention we have in obgyn to consistently date pregnancies, so that when doctors talk to each other about patients, we're all on the same page as to how we arrived at the due date, etc. These "pregnancy dating" conventions trace back to when all we had to go on was the dates of your periods, and we didn't have ultrasounds available.

By my calculations, if on 9/18/17 you were 6 weeks and 3 days, the date of conception would have been on or around Aug 18, 2017.

These first trimester ultrasounds are very accurate at figuring out exactly how far along the pregnancy is: to within + or - 5 days. So, taking into account that room for error, the date of conception could be anywhere from Aug 13 to Aug 23.

Okay! But there would be no way I was to conceive in July, correct?

It seems nearly impossible, unless the ultrasound was wildly inaccurate, which they usually are not.

Okay! Thank you!! I was just curious because I was really bad about taking my B/C at the same time every time, but I don't remember having a period in July.
Is The U/S projecting an estimated +/- conception date?Sorry, I have close to no knowledge about pregnancy or ovulation!

Apologies for the delay! I was pulled away from my computer.

Correct, the US is an estimate of your gestational age (ie, how far along you are in pregnancy), but we know that within the first trimester of pregnancy, that estimate is accurate to +/- 5 days.

Okay! So its impossible that intercourse from July would result in this pregnancy

Yeah. I would say impossible.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Thank you for answering my questions!!!