OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've had heavy bleeding during sex. And my overall health is…

Customer Question
I've had heavy bleeding...

I've had heavy bleeding during sex

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes, and my overall health is great

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've had about and abnormal pap smear, and I just got off depo a few months ago

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 month ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how old you are?

I see you've previously had an abnormal pap smear. When was your last pap smear? Was it normal?

When was your last Depo shot?

Is the heavy bleeding every time you have sex, or just sometimes?

What are your periods like otherwise?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey , I'm 26 , my last normal pap was 2 years ago. I stop receiving depo in Nov 2017.

How was your bleeding on the Depo and since your last shot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pretty much non existent.

Thank you for the info.

Even though your last Depo shot was 4 months ago (and it's only good for birth control for 3 months), it can take up to a year for all the hormone to totally get out of your system, and you can have irregular bleeding while your hormones straighten out again.

That all being said, because you've previously had an abnormal pap, even through your very last one was normal, I would still recommend getting another pap smear to make sure the abnormality hasn't returned, because that can cause bleeding with sex. Also, it's a good idea to get tested for STDs because those can sometimes cause bleeding with intercourse too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've been tested for STDs and the results was negative. I have and appointment for coloscopy in 3 weeks. So should I just wait until I have sex again?

Are you having colposcopy in 3 weeks to look at your cervix?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh I forgot I was diagnosed with bv also. Can that cause and abnormal pap smear?

BV usually shows up as BV on a pap smear, and is treated with antibiotics. With an abnormal pap smear requiring a colposcopy, it means the cells of the cervix are abnormal. I think if you had an abnormal pap smear, that is likely to be causing the bleeding with intercourse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I be concerned? It only happened once?

If it only happened once, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Be sure to get your colposcopy to make sure your abnormal pap is nothing to worry about.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, Thank You

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also have mild cramping, similar to period cramps

This could also be your period starting to come back now that you're off the Depo.

Just checking in to make sure you're doing OK today.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN