OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pretty normal 28 day cycle, however I do have some…

Customer Question
I have a pretty...

I have a pretty normal 28 day cycle, however I do have some bleeding (Brown spottting) 3-4 days before my actual period. Once my period has started it’s bright red for 2-3 days. My progesterone at CD 3-15 was 0.2 so a NP put me in progesterone 200mg qd for 7 days. Starting cd 15 but..... I hadn’t ovulated yet. We’ve been trying to conceive for 2 years will the progesterone this cycle stop ovulation?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

I have.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: OB GYN
3/8/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 1 month ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

To be honest, that progesterone level early in your cycle doesn't seem too bad to me. We expect it to be <1 early in the menstrual cycle (ie, Day 1-14), and then increase after ovulation (which happens around Day 14 or so).

It sounds like your NP started you on prometrium 200mg per day starting Cycle Day 15. I think the idea of this is to help boost the progesterone level AFTER ovulation.

It is possible that in this particular cycle, it is possible that you were going to ovulate a bit later than Day 14 (like maybe Day 16, or thereabouts), and the prometrium could in that case delay ovulation.

Are you seeing an infertility specialist? Once you've been trying to get pregnant for > 1 year without success, you are eligible for a thorough evaluation and treatment options, if you so desire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t yet I have a appt next month. If I stop the progesterone today will I get my period? Or is there a chance I could still possibly ovulate? I’m on CD 20.

Oh, wonderful. I'm glad you have an appointment next month!

Yes, you can expect to have bleeding once you stop the progesterone. It may take a few days to start after you stop the progesterone, but typically stopping the progesterone does trigger a period.

If you haven't already ovulated by Day 20, it is unlikely that you'll ovulate in this particular cycle.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN