OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had sex with partner 1 on day 14 of…

Hi, I am 8 weeks pregnant...
I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had sex with partner 1 on day 14 of a 28 day cycle. I took an ovulation test that day and I had an LH surge.on day 16, I was with another man. We fooled around for about 5 minutes, but there was no penetration or ejaculation at any point. It is possible that hispre-ejaculate fluid came in contact with my inner thigh, close to my vagina.I took an ovulation test on days 15-18, all were negative.I took another ovulation test on day 19 and it indicated an LH surge, which confused me that I had LH surges 5 days a part.Is it possible to get pregnant without penetration or ejaculation (but from pre-ejaculate fluid)? I am considering a pre-natal paternity test, but as it is close to $2000, I want to be sure that pregnancy by partner 2 is a possibility prior to doing so.
3/7/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Studies have shown that the majority of pre-ejaculate has dead or no sperm at all. Now, can you get pregnant with only pre-ejaculate? Usually not, but there are some reports of women becoming pregnant from pre-cum during penetration. In your case, it sounds like there was no penetration. Because of that, the chances of pre-cum outside of your body resulting in pregnancy are extremely, extremely low.

I hope that was helpful. Please let me know if you have other questions. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service. We can continue the conversation even after you rate me. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it would be precum on the outside of my body. Is this incredibly unlikely, or is pregnancy impossible?Do you think it would be worth it to have a pre-natal paternity blood test?

I would say that if the precum got anywhere on your vagina then it would be incredibly unlikely. If the precum only got onto your leg/inner thigh then pregnancy is essentially impossible. So if the precum got onto your vagina then it might be worth it to take the blood test. I hope that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there sperm in pre-ejaculate fluid?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, how far would pre-ejaculate fluid need to travel from outside vagina to fertilize an egg?

Most studies say that there is no sperm in pre-ejaculate fluid, but there are reports that people have become pregnant from pre-ejaculate only. This would be very rare though. The sperm would have to travel through the entire vaginal canal, through the cervix and into your uterus so it is a very long way to get to. I think you are safe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I had partner 2 (partner with whom I only had contact with pre-ejaculate fluid, and no ejaculation), take an at home sperm test of only his pre-ejaculate fluid, and this test came back and said low or no levels of sperm, would it be safe to conclude that it is impossible that I became pregnant by partner 2?

Yes, I think it would be safe to conclude that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
100%?The blood test is $2000, but I can't go through this pregnancy with a stress level I am currently experiencing over the prospect that partner 2 could be the father

If the pre-ejaculate fluid did not touch your vagina then yes, 100%. If it touched your vagina or got into your vagina I would say 99% sure. So it depends.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service. We can continue the conversation even after you rate me. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possible for pre-ejaculate fluid to travel from the outside of the vagina, up to fertilize an egg?
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

How can I be of assistance today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had sex with partner 1 on day 14 of a 28 day cycle. I took an ovulation test that day and I had an LH surge.on day 16, I was with another man. We fooled around for about 5 minutes, but there was no penetration or ejaculation at any point. It is possible thathispre-ejaculate fluid came in contact with my inner thigh, close to my vagina.I took an ovulation test on days 15-18, all were negative.I took another ovulation test on day 19 and it indicated an LH surge, which confused me that I had LH surges 5 days a part.Is it possible to get pregnant without penetration or ejaculation (but from pre-ejaculate fluid coming into contact with the outside of the inner thigh or outside of upper vagina)?I am considering a pre-natal paternity test, but as it is close to $2000, I want to be sure that pregnancy by partner 2 is a possibility prior to doing so.

Thank you for being so detailed.

I think the chances of you being pregnant from the encounter with Partner 2 are close to zero.

The second LH surge on day 19 is confusing, but typically I tell people to stop checking LH surges once you've had the first one, so it's hard to know what to make of it. I doubt you had 2 distinct ovulation events 4 days apart.

That all being said, it sounds like the contact with Partner 2 was minimal (there was no penetration or ejaculation during your encounter), and a lot of unlikely events would have ALL had to occur for you to be pregnant from that encounter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you have to give a percentage to the chance partner 2 could be the father, what would that percentage be?I am considering having partner 2 take an at-home sperm check test, using just pre-ejaculate fluid. If this test came back negative, would that indicate that partner 2 has no sperm in his pre-ejaculate, and therefore conclude he could not have impregnanted me?

I would say there is a <0.1% chance that Partner 2 is the father.

I don't know that I'd bother with the at-home sperm check test, unless you had reason to think Partner 2 did not have sperm? Like, for instance, a prior vasectomy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the at-home sperm check test was moreso to conclude that his pre-ejaculate fluid wouldnt have had sperm (I know that studies have shown that some men do have sperm in their pre-ejaculate)

Ah OK.

Honestly, I think the test will just raise more Qs than it answers. I don't know that I would even bother with it.

I think the chance of you getting pregnant from a non-ejaculating, non-penetrating encounter (even if the pre-ejaculate had sperm in it) is still pretty close to zero.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does it change your opinion if I had ovulated on or near that day?

No, it wouldn't.

The encounter from Partner 1 is still the most likely to have caused the pregnancy - sperm can survive in your uterus and fallopian tubes for 5 days, and that's why women can get pregnant even if they didn't have sex exactly the day they ovulated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would you say it is impossible for partner 2 to be the father?

I never say never. But I would say the chances are pretty darn close to zero, without actually being zero.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I wish there was a way to know it is impossible. the stress and anxiety I am experiencing over this worry is truly paralyzing
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN