OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had sex with partner 1 on day 14 of…

Hi, I am 8 weeks pregnant...
I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had sex with partner 1 on day 14 of a 28 day cycle. I took an ovulation test that day and I had an LH surge.on day 16, I was with another man. We fooled around for about 5 minutes, but there was no penetration or ejaculation at any point. It is possible that hispre-ejaculate fluid came in contact with my inner thigh, close to my vagina.I took an ovulation test on days 15-18, all were negative.I took another ovulation test on day 19 and it indicated an LH surge, which confused me that I had LH surges 5 days a part.Is it possible to get pregnant without penetration or ejaculation (but from pre-ejaculate fluid)? I am considering a pre-natal paternity test, but as it is close to $2000, I want to be sure that pregnancy by partner 2 is a possibility prior to doing so.
3/7/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Studies have shown that the majority of pre-ejaculate has dead or no sperm at all. Now, can you get pregnant with only pre-ejaculate? Usually not, but there are some reports of women becoming pregnant from pre-cum during penetration. In your case, it sounds like there was no penetration. Because of that, the chances of pre-cum outside of your body resulting in pregnancy are extremely, extremely low.

I hope that was helpful. Please let me know if you have other questions. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service. We can continue the conversation even after you rate me. Thanks!

it would be precum on the outside of my body. Is this incredibly unlikely, or is pregnancy impossible?Do you think it would be worth it to have a pre-natal paternity blood test?

I would say that if the precum got anywhere on your vagina then it would be incredibly unlikely. If the precum only got onto your leg/inner thigh then pregnancy is essentially impossible. So if the precum got onto your vagina then it might be worth it to take the blood test. I hope that helps.

Is there sperm in pre-ejaculate fluid?
Also, how far would pre-ejaculate fluid need to travel from outside vagina to fertilize an egg?

Most studies say that there is no sperm in pre-ejaculate fluid, but there are reports that people have become pregnant from pre-ejaculate only. This would be very rare though. The sperm would have to travel through the entire vaginal canal, through the cervix and into your uterus so it is a very long way to get to. I think you are safe.

If I had partner 2 (partner with whom I only had contact with pre-ejaculate fluid, and no ejaculation), take an at home sperm test of only his pre-ejaculate fluid, and this test came back and said low or no levels of sperm, would it be safe to conclude that it is impossible that I became pregnant by partner 2?

Yes, I think it would be safe to conclude that.

100%?The blood test is $2000, but I can't go through this pregnancy with a stress level I am currently experiencing over the prospect that partner 2 could be the father

If the pre-ejaculate fluid did not touch your vagina then yes, 100%. If it touched your vagina or got into your vagina I would say 99% sure. So it depends.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my service. We can continue the conversation even after you rate me. Thanks!

Is it possible for pre-ejaculate fluid to travel from the outside of the vagina, up to fertilize an egg?
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

How can I be of assistance today?

I am 8 weeks pregnant. I had sex with partner 1 on day 14 of a 28 day cycle. I took an ovulation test that day and I had an LH surge.on day 16, I was with another man. We fooled around for about 5 minutes, but there was no penetration or ejaculation at any point. It is possible thathispre-ejaculate fluid came in contact with my inner thigh, close to my vagina.I took an ovulation test on days 15-18, all were negative.I took another ovulation test on day 19 and it indicated an LH surge, which confused me that I had LH surges 5 days a part.Is it possible to get pregnant without penetration or ejaculation (but from pre-ejaculate fluid coming into contact with the outside of the inner thigh or outside of upper vagina)?I am considering a pre-natal paternity test, but as it is close to $2000, I want to be sure that pregnancy by partner 2 is a possibility prior to doing so.

Thank you for being so detailed.

I think the chances of you being pregnant from the encounter with Partner 2 are close to zero.

The second LH surge on day 19 is confusing, but typically I tell people to stop checking LH surges once you've had the first one, so it's hard to know what to make of it. I doubt you had 2 distinct ovulation events 4 days apart.

That all being said, it sounds like the contact with Partner 2 was minimal (there was no penetration or ejaculation during your encounter), and a lot of unlikely events would have ALL had to occur for you to be pregnant from that encounter.

If you have to give a percentage to the chance partner 2 could be the father, what would that percentage be?I am considering having partner 2 take an at-home sperm check test, using just pre-ejaculate fluid. If this test came back negative, would that indicate that partner 2 has no sperm in his pre-ejaculate, and therefore conclude he could not have impregnanted me?

I would say there is a <0.1% chance that Partner 2 is the father.

I don't know that I'd bother with the at-home sperm check test, unless you had reason to think Partner 2 did not have sperm? Like, for instance, a prior vasectomy?

the at-home sperm check test was moreso to conclude that his pre-ejaculate fluid wouldnt have had sperm (I know that studies have shown that some men do have sperm in their pre-ejaculate)

Ah OK.

Honestly, I think the test will just raise more Qs than it answers. I don't know that I would even bother with it.

I think the chance of you getting pregnant from a non-ejaculating, non-penetrating encounter (even if the pre-ejaculate had sperm in it) is still pretty close to zero.

Does it change your opinion if I had ovulated on or near that day?

No, it wouldn't.

The encounter from Partner 1 is still the most likely to have caused the pregnancy - sperm can survive in your uterus and fallopian tubes for 5 days, and that's why women can get pregnant even if they didn't have sex exactly the day they ovulated.

Would you say it is impossible for partner 2 to be the father?

I never say never. But I would say the chances are pretty darn close to zero, without actually being zero.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
I wish there was a way to know it is impossible. the stress and anxiety I am experiencing over this worry is truly paralyzing