OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was started on pep due to a condom break about 26 days…

I was started on...

I was started on pep due to a condom break about 26 days ago. My pep is almost done but about 4 days ago, I was having sex and my insertive partner took his condom off for like 4 strokes and stopped. Do I need to restart pep? For another 28 days? Or because I am on Truvada, should that protect me from the possible exposure.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes. I am healthy

I am taking isentress and Truvada.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2018
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

I am an homosexual male who was the non insertive partner but the partner whom received.

Yes, this will protect you from exposure

you should be fine

Are you sure? Do I need to restart my pep over?
Or stay on PrEP?

You should be ok. 99% chance

to be 100% you should restart

Ok now I’m confused. So am I okay without restarting? Was Truveda enough to protect me? Or should I completely restart?

Just to be 100% sure I would restart.

Sorry for the confusion

Ok. Thank you. Shouldn’t the Truveda protected me though?
also, I have 2 lymph nodes that feel a little swollen but not painful is that normal or is that a sign of possible hiv infection?

Yes, it should but technically with each exposure you need a new round of PEP

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

What about my lymph nodes

The lymph nodes are not worrisome

It wouldn't be HIV with no other symptoms

Would I still have HIV symptoms on PEP? Or would they be suppressed?
I took a home test that required a blood sample and it came back negitive. Couldn’t PEP cause a false/neg?

yes it would cause a false neg

no you would not have HIV symptoms on PEP

I can completely disregard any symptoms I am having including the lymph nodes?

yes

could the swollen lymph nodes be related to me taking the PEP

Yes, that is possible

How so? Like it cause an inflammatory response in the body? I’m just confused as to why it would do this.

Yes, that is correct

Antivirals can cause inflammatory reactions like this

But would it cause this even if no virus is present?

yes

Ok I’m just extremely worried and anxious about it. Especially since my lymph nodes were fine before PEP.

I don't think you need to worry at all

I just got my lab results back for a CBC with Diff and y Lymphocyte count is 3.2 would that be a sign of hiv infection?

No, not at all

Ok, I am now having nerve pain, and my lymph nodes have gone down. The pain is like shooting through my arm and leg but I'm not having any other symptoms.

Would you mind accepting additional services to continue?

A small fee and we can continue as long as you like

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Okay so my lymphodes are still there but in the same spot. They have not spread, I have no fever, some times a runny and stuffy nose this week. Also I found out I have hypothyroidism this week. I also have this strange taste in my mouth, no thrush on my tongue or canker sores. My throat is just a tad sore and I don’t know if that is due to my tonsilstones are sleeping with my mouth open. I also have nerve pain and bone pain but I also have a low vitamin D level. I am so scared,
This sounds like a normal viral infection
you don’t think it’s hiv related at all?
No
I am a nurse and it is easy to catch something but I’ve had the lymph node swelling for weeks and I’m thinking it could be Hashimotos?

That is possible. Yes

If it was hiv wouldn’t I have a fever with muscle pain and other symptoms?

It could but not this far out usually

and not if you continued the PEP

No I didn’t continue the pep out only because they said there was no need since I was on PrEP
I know I have tonsillitis and I have a strange taste in my mouth as well.
should I be worried?

Hard to be sure

I honestly don't know

do my symtoms point out hiv infection? Or not? Because I’m confused now.

No I don't think so

Is it possible to have HIV and only have one symptom?