OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had intercourse January 9th of 2018 I had my period from…

I had intercourse January...

I had intercourse January 9th of 2018 I had my period from January 13th to January 17th I had intercourse January 18th and with another dude January 31st I came up pregnant and it shows that I'm 5 weeks which would possibly be the father

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Medical record of?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That would be it there's nothing else as far as Medical

2/17/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Okay

If you had a normal period on the 13th of January, then you cannot be pregnant from sexual intercourse prior to the period.

Intercourse on January 18th will not cause a pregnancy either since the follicles in the ovaries at that time are not mature enough to get fertilized.

Since ovulation occurs approximately 14 days after a menstrual period, you would have ovulated at around the 27-29th January. Intercourse on the 31st January will be on your fertile period. The sexual intercourse on the 31st has caused this pregnancy.

Since the pregnancy is dated from the last menstrual period, it is now 5 weeks from the 13th of January.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you.

After intercourse on the 31st I took a morning after pill on February 1st my ovulation was February 2nd and I had intercourse February 3rd through February 4th will that make a difference
When I took the Plan B pill did that cancel out the pregnancy on the 31st

If you are sure that you ovulated on the 2nd february, then yes, intercourse on the 3-4th february could also have cuased the pregnancy.

Ipills have only a 89% success rate - so you can still be pregnant.

If you ovulated on the 2nd feb, then sexual intercourse either on the 31st Jan or 3rd feb would have caused the pregnancy, although that on the 3rd feb is more likely.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

how will I know for sure if it was the 31st or my sexual intercourse from the 3rd and 4th

I am afraid that you cannot be sure without a paternity test.

Another newer test which tests for fetal DNA in the mother's blood can also be done which can be used to test for the paternity. You will need to talk to your doctor about this test.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback

An ultrasound wouldn't help

No, an ultrasound cannot identify between very close dates, since it always has an error margin of about plus/minis 3 days at this time of pregnancy.

I hope this helps.
Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar