OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What can cause frequent breakthrough bleeding while on birth…

What can cause frequent...
What can cause frequent breakthrough bleeding while on birth control pills, uti, chills, nausea, itching on vulva near clitoris and a fishy odor?
2/17/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Nausea, chills, UTI, itching and a fishy odor can be caused by a condition known as bacterial vaginosis. This is a condition in which there is overgrowth of bacteria normally found in the vagina leading to an infection. It is not related to the birth control pills.

The breakthrough bleeding can be due to bleeding from the inflamed vaginal walls.

Please consult an Obgyn - you will need to take antibiotics for the infection.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.

I took the home monistat screening kit and it did indicate that my ph is off. How will I be able to test to see if it is BV if I am spotting?

If your home test shows an abnormal ph, then you have either yeast infection of BV.

BV can be tested for in the lab or doctor's clinic even if you are spotting - a wt mount under the microscope with help identify BV.

Please contact an Obgyn for a checkup.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Thank you so much for your help!

You are welcome