OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had my tubes removed with my last of four c sections. Now…

I had my tubes...

I had my tubes removed with my last of four c sections. Now every time I ovulate until I menstruate I have horrible continued pelvic pain. It is so tender that if one of my children sits on my lap I double over in pain. I have a history of endometriosis. However a pelvic ultrasound conducted in January showed no abnormalities.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

The pain has occurred since the return of my periods after my last birth of my daughter. Since August of 2017. I am also still breastfeeding.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had an appendectomy as well as right hemicholectomy resulting from seatbelt syndrome stripping the facia from my large intestine during a car accident in 2006

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/16/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Thank you
No thanks I prefer typing my kids are asleep around me right now

It is certainly possible that now that you are no longer breastfeeding, or pregnant, or using any type of hormonal birth control, your endometriosis is active again. An ultrasound will unfortunately usually not show any endometriosis, because the tiny implants of endometriosis and scarring that it causes within your pelvis and abdomen is not visible on ultrasound. The best way to evaluate for endometriosis is to actually put a tiny camera through a tiny incision in your belly button and take a look inside the abdomen (this is a surgery called laparoscopy). If you are done having kids and your problems are with your periods, you have all kinds of options available to you to control your pain and endometriosis, ranging from hormonal options all the way up to surgery like a hysterectomy to remove your uterus.

I am still breastfeeding up to four times a day. Historically this kept the endometriosis at bay. Wondering what tubal ligation syndrome could be at play?
I have had many laparoscopic procedures in the past. I am aware of this. I guess endometriosis could be at play

It's possible, but your tubes are totally gone. Every pregnancy and postpartum period is different, but sometimes womens periods can resume even when they are breastfeeding (I know mine did - and that's why women can get pregnant even when they're breastfeeding). Pregnancy (and sometimes breastfeeding but not always) suppresses the female hormones from our ovaries that suppress endometriosis - that's why women with endo typically feel so much better when they are pregnant, as you know, because the hormones in pregnancy are different from the hormones that stimulate endometriosis.

I would agree completely.

In someone with a known history of endometriosis who has a return of painful cycles after a delivery, I would be inclined to think that their endometriosis is back again.

I will seek out an OBGYN locally to investigate my options. My condition seems to be getting much worse with each cycle.

I think seeing an obgyn to discuss your treatment options is a great idea. It can be so miserable!

I wish you all the best of luck.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Thank you for your counsel
I will contact an OB in my area. I just moved so I have yet to establish care.
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN