OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking trileptal, and Seroquel but I really would like…

Customer Question
I am taking trileptal...

I am taking trileptal, and Seroquel but I really would like to get pregnant. I have been told those meds don't cause infertility but the fact that I'm still nursing is causing me not to get pregnant

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I have insomnia I don't fall asleep without meds but benedryl works fine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I'm diagnosed PTSD, anxiety, mild bipolar with depression

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Years, triggers from past events

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
2/14/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, the medications that you have been using do not cause infertility at all, yes they can cause various other side effects but they don't effect fertility as such. Now the fact that you are nursing THAT can certainly prevent pregnancy. The reason being that as long as you are nursing the body does not restart the menstrual cycle in most cases and as long as the cycle does not start, it is unlikely for you to get pregnant. Breastfeeding would lead to the release of certain hormones which prevent the period from restarting. This is a natural form of birth control. Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy within the first three months. After three months and until 6 months, the chances of getting pregnant increase but only by 3-6%. And after a year by 12%.

Now that is not to say that you CANT get pregnant while breastfeeding, you can but the chances are extremely low. This because of your hormonal composition. In order to get pregnant, you would need to change the nursing patterns, for example cutting down on the feeding sessions.

But in short, yes breast feeding can certainly cause a decrease in the chances of getting pregnant.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.