OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I've been spotting for two weeks now and I'm desperate to…

Customer Question
I've been spotting for...

I've been spotting for two weeks now and I'm desperate to make it stop. It's putting a damper on my sex life.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Great

Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: OB GYN
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I've been on sprintec for about a month now, and after I missed ONE pill, I've been spotting. For the last two days I've taken two pills a day and also I've started taking 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day after hearing that that helps with spotting and break through bleedings.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Would it help if I take my birth control in SHORTER intervals? As in instead of every 24 hours, maybe 20 hours? What do I need to do to stop this horrible side effect? I'm hoping to find a solution that'll make the spotting and breakthrough bleeding stop within a WEEK.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text or Video Call + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Also, would taking 1000mg of vitamin c help reduce and stop the spotting/breakthrough bleeding?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/7/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 13 days ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Generally spotting is normal after missing a pill and then when you take double doses it can increase your chances of having spotting for longer periods of time.
We usually advise patients to just g back to their regular dosage of their birth control meds and that often fixes it in time.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Would high doses of ibuprofen help it go away or be reduced?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
If it took two pills a day for the last two days and went back to taking one a day, wouldn't it INCREASE the spotting and its likeliness bc hormone levels are LOWERED? I thought that if there were more hormones in my body, it would stop the annoying bleeding, instead of increasing chances as you just said.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Is there any action at all, aside from going back to the reg dosage, that could be taken to stop the spotting?
Ibuprofen can help, nothing wrong with using it.
No, when you cut back on your dose you won’t increase your risk of spotting. Hormones don’t act that way when it’s a combination pill. If you did that with progesterone only then yes it would do that.
If you want to stop the spotting you could stop your birth control pills and have your doctor prescribe you a high dose progesterone such as Provera for a week and then stop it. That will reset your period and you can then resume your normal birth control pills.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
After a week of Provera, would I go back to active pills of sprintec (new pack)?
After the provera you’ll get a withdrawal bleed for a few days which will seem like a normal period and then you can resume your Sprintec.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Would extra estrogen pills (like over the counter) help the spotting fade quicker as well?
There aren’t any estrogen pills over the counter in the US and as for helping with spotting it would increase your risk of heart attacks so we rarely give estrogen by itself in younger women.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thank you for your help, doctor Mo.
Of course. Anytime. If anything else comes up please let me know.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 6 days ago

I hope you are doing well and I just wanted to ask you to click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD