OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I got my period two Saturdays ago and it ended that

Customer Question
Wednesday. It was extremely painful...
I got my period two Saturdays ago and it ended that Wednesday. It was extremely painful every day and it was really really heavy every day. Usually by the third day it's very light and I have no pain. This Saturday I started experiencing pain on the left side of my pelvic area and I'm still experiencing it. I had sexual intercourse yesterday and it was a little painful. The person asked me if I was just coming off my period because there was some blood on the condom. Later that day I wiped myself and there was discharge and it was a little bit dark but it definitely had blood in it. I wiped myself again a few hours later and there was still blood in it. I used to get cysts but they would get so bad I couldn't walk and it would only last one day. This is been going on for several. Last night and this morning has been the most painful and it's moved from my left side to my whole lower pelvic area.
Submitted: 12 days ago.Category: OB GYN
2/6/2018
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 12 days ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here

If your period started roughly 2 weeks ago, you are right in the time of your cycle where I would expect you to be "ovulating," meaning releasing an egg. Ovulation can certainly cause pain. Everytime your ovary "ovulates" (ie, releases an egg), it first forms a little cyst (thin-walled fluid-filled sac) around that egg, and then the cyst ruptures to release the egg into your fallopian tube. Sometimes cysts want to hurt a lot, and ovulation can be painful. You can also have some spotting around the time of ovulation.

The cysts can sometimes be problematic, and grow very large; or bleed in on themselves, or bleed out into your abdomen. If your pain is that concerning, you can call your doc to check an ultrasound to make sure all is well.

I also in general recommend being sure you're up to date on your pap smear and pelvic exam.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
It hasn't been 2 weeks apologies. I just got off of it this past Wednesday and then the pain started Saturday.

Ah I see.

You could still have an ovarian cyst (they start to grow at the beginning of your period) that could be causing your symptoms.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 11 days ago

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you.

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN