OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I recently found out I am pregnant, less than 8 weeks. My OB…

I recently found out...

I recently found out I am pregnant, less than 8 weeks. My OB appointment isn't until Feb 12. I had a stomach flu this week lasting 4 days, starting Sunday Jan 14 and lasting until Thursday, Jan 18. I could not keep down any food, liquid, or vitamins, to the point where I was dry heaving and throwing up bile. Thursday morning I almost went to the hospital for IV but the flu finally started to subside. However, I am concerned about my pregnancy. No spotting,no bleeding, but I have cramping from time to time but nothing significant. My muscles are severely weak and I am tired constantly and at times I still have trouble catching my breath. I'm just concerned this flu affected my fetus' health but I'm not sure what to do about it at this point. I have had 3 miscarriages before - one at 19, one at 23, and one this past November. I am 32.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Not as of now. I as able to hold down food and liquid today. But right now I have a small lower back ache but I can't tell if it's just from laying in bed for 4 days and just being sore or if it's a concern.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Otherwise I am very healthy. 5'5 and 110 pounds.

1/20/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Though extreme stomach flu at this stage is worrisome but as far as you did not bleed or had severe cramping, it is reassuring. The only thing at this stage is to keep yourself well hydrated take lots of electrolyte solution and take rest. Once your flu start getting better you would regain your energy back but do followup with your doctor for thorough examination and ultrasound to check fetal well being. Nothing much to worry for now.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Thank you very much for the reassurance!

My pleasure.

Wish you a healthy baby.